Custom ToC Icon HTML 5 skin

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Custom ToC Icon HTML 5 skin

Post by Paul Griffiths »

This is embarrassing.

I've set up an HTML 5 skin with a custom TOC Item class that has a distinctive icon. When I open the skin in the Internal Text Editor, I can actually see the Style defined within it.

But I CANNOT find the style on the Styles tab of the HTML5 Skin Editor.

I'm looking under Navigation > Navigation Tab (Active) > TOC, but I can't see the ToC Item class.

Can anyone help?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Custom ToC Icon HTML 5 skin

Post by NorthEast »

So how did you set up the TOC item class in your skin in the first place?

I'm fairly sure that you can't create TOC Entry class for HTML5 Top Nav or Side Nav skins in the skin editor. I don't think you can create them in the Tripane skin either, although Flare's help suggests that you can. However, I can't actually find the TOC Entry in the HTML5 Tripane skin, and only see that in the old WebHelp skins.

I think you can get TOC entry classes working with HTML5 skins, but it requires some manual editing of the skin files.
See this article: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-i-co ... tte-gagne/
And this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29402&p=128508#p128508
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Paul Griffiths »

Hi Dave

I can't remember how I did it! That's why it's so embarrassing!

I suppose it's possible I hacked the skin file to produce the attached, but I think I'd remember that!?

Odd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Paul Griffiths »

UPDATE

So I opened the skin in Flare 2017 R1, and guess what ...

Bug?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

If you created the skin a while ago, perhaps older versions of Flare had the Toc Entry option in the skin editor for HTML5 Tripane skins.
Anyway, I can't find it in Flare 2018.

Edit: Just saw your last post. Not sure if it's a bug, or MadCap deliberately removed it.
smajors
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by smajors »

Do you have the option to expand the Toc Entry and see the Icons? I'm using version 11 and see this.
toc.png
Technical Writer
Training & Development Team/Marketing Department
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

smajors wrote:Do you have the option to expand the Toc Entry and see the Icons? I'm using version 11 and see this.
That's the same as Paul's screenshot for 2017R1 - that setting isn't available in 2018 though.
devans
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devans »

I always document everything I do because I know I'll forget it otherwise! I set up a custom TOC icon in an older version of Flare and am now using v11. Not sure if this is what you're after but I'll include because it might help.

1. In Flare’s Project Organiser, select the Skins folder.
2. Open the Default skin.
3. Select the Styles tab.
4. Select TOCEntry.
5. Select Add Class at top of screen.
6. Enter name for new icon, e.g. TrainingExerciseIcon.
7. Select the new entry then select Topic Icon, select the path and select Browse for Entry.
8. Select the image you copied and save.

1. In the Flare TOC, open the Properties for the topic to apply the training icon to.
2. On the General tab, select StyleClass = TrainingExerciseIcon.
3. Select Ok and save.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

devans wrote:I always document everything I do because I know I'll forget it otherwise! I set up a custom TOC icon in an older version of Flare and am now using v11. Not sure if this is what you're after but I'll include because it might help.
Yep, and it's covered in the help too - but the issue here is that this has been removed in Flare 2018, so there is no TOCEntry in the skin any more.
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Paul Griffiths »

FURTHER UPDATE:

I reported this as a bug and now it's fixed in 2018 R2.

Not really sure those two things are connected but that's what I'm telling everyone anyway!

As always, thanks to the Forum and Dave in particular for the help.
Vibeke B
Propeller Head

Post by Vibeke B »

I am using the Side Navigation style and also want to edit my Toc Entry (to bold) but there is no Toc Entry item in the skin editor. Have MadCap removed it again in Flare 2019? Or has it never been there for Side Nav? I am not using the latest R2 version yet. Is there another way to style this Toc Entry bold?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Vibeke B wrote:I am using the Side Navigation style and also want to edit my Toc Entry (to bold) but there is no Toc Entry item in the skin editor. Have MadCap removed it again in Flare 2019? Or has it never been there for Side Nav? I am not using the latest R2 version yet. Is there another way to style this Toc Entry bold?
AFAIK, adding TOC entry classes has never available for any of the HTML5 skins, just for the old WebHelp skin.

Anyway, as I already mentioned in this thread...
Dave Lee wrote:I think you can get TOC entry classes working with HTML5 skins, but it requires some manual editing of the skin files.
See this article: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-i-co ... tte-gagne/
And this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29402&p=128508#p128508