Conditions quandry

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
carmonli
Propeller Head

Conditions quandry

Post by carmonli »

I've conditionalized myself into a corner and I'm not sure how to get out of it.

I have two separate Flare projects (A and B - these are for separate yet related products). Most of the content from Project A needs to be used as an entire section in Project B. So what I've been doing is tagging the content in Project A with a condition, and then I created an Import file in Project B to bring in all of the content with that condition. It is working perfectly.

Now, I've discovered that there are bits of the imported content (sometimes just a few words in a topic, possibly a paragraph) that refer to yet another product and should NOT appear in the output for Project B. So I created another condition tag and tried to exclude that new condition in a target. It doesn't work as I had hoped, since I forgot that the entire topic is included due to the condition tag that I used for the import. As far as I can tell so far, there are approximately 10 topics where this is an issue (at least, that's how many I've discovered so far).

I'm thinking that the only way around this is (in Project A) to remove the condition tag for the importing and (in the import file in Project B) to specifically list those 10 or so topics. Does anyone have any other, more automated ideas? UPDATE: I just tried this and it doesn't work. If I use a condition tag in the import file, Flare ignores anything that isn't tagged with that specific condition.

In case you are wondering, I haven't combined the two Flare projects because they both need to be translated, but are developed by different teams and are on different release cycles. It is less confusing this way for our translators.

Thanks for any help!
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Conditions quandry

Post by ajturnersurrey »

So you have lots of topics which are conditioned 'Include in both A and B' that live in project A, which you pull across into project B.
They can happily contain some items conditioned 'Not in B'.
Then as long as both project A and project B have the same set of condition tags (pull them across into project B), your project B target can exclude any 'Not in B' items as it builds.
I don't see a problem - have I misread?
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by AlexFox »

Just checking you aren't using the "Include" checkbox on your Conditional Text in the Target? You only need to use this to override an Exclude, so where you say "the entire topic is is included due to the condition tag that I used for the import", remember that once you've imported the content with an Import File, it's in your project and you don't need to do anything special with conditions that you wouldn't usually do.
carmonli
Propeller Head

Post by carmonli »

AlexFox wrote:Just checking you aren't using the "Include" checkbox on your Conditional Text in the Target? You only need to use this to override an Exclude, so where you say "the entire topic is is included due to the condition tag that I used for the import", remember that once you've imported the content with an Import File, it's in your project and you don't need to do anything special with conditions that you wouldn't usually do.
Bingo! I did indeed have the "Include" checkbox selected. Problem solved. Thanks so much.