Can I import from SVN +then bind immediately to Git?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Can I import from SVN +then bind immediately to Git?

Post by mattf »

Our Flare project is in SVN. We're moving to Git (GitLab) for source control and I need to migrate the whole enchilada. I have been given a set of instructions for how to pull the project from SVN into GitLab, but it's like twenty pages of scripts and Linux commands and makes me want to run out into the parking lot screaming. I'm inclined to use the Flare interface instead, since there's native Git support. I see that I can import a project from SVN. (I'm not sure where it's importing INTO, but let's just say we've imported the project from SVN.) Can I then bind the project to Git after pulling it from SVN? If so, how? Better still would be if I could copy the files from SVN and paste them into a folder in Git, then each of the members of my team could clone the repo for our local work. Has anyone dealt with this? What's the right thing to do? I don't want to take three months of Linux training to make this happen.
Thanks,
-mdf
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Can I import from SVN +then bind immediately to Git?

Post by Nita Beck »

I am only spectulating, so read with caution...

I suspect that the purpose of the 20 pages of detailed, mind-numbing instructions is so that you migrate not only the Flare project’s content from SVN to Git, but also its entire history since the project was first bound. Almost to a person, all of my clients would want to preserve the history.

Trying to circumvent the detailed process by using Flare’s integrated source control functionality will, I suspect, lose all of the history. So you’ll be starting fresh with Git, with a whole new history of changes.

If you aren’t interested at all in the project’s history, then, sure, use Flare to import a copy of the project from SVN, immediately unbind it, and then bind it to Git. Test the result you get...

Again, take my comments with a huge grain of salt. Maybe get the advice of the source control admins.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Can I import from SVN +then bind immediately to Git?

Post by mattf »

Hi Nita,
Your response jibes with the opinion of my devs. They are still emerging from a very painful SVN-to-Git migration process for all our code, and were doubtful that Flare would be able to do this with the click of a button and still retain the histories of my documents. I've taken my grains of salt, but I really value your educated opinion on this. Thanks!
-Matt
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.