Git: Redirect errors when trying to import project

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
BrianAtInTouchHealth
Propeller Head

Git: Redirect errors when trying to import project

Post by BrianAtInTouchHealth »

Hi,

In the past I've always used the Command Line when using Git. However, the senior writer here has been using the Flare tool without any issues. So, I want to use that method as well. Unfortunately, I get redirect errors every time I try it. (See the screenshot below.)
flare-git-redirect-error010919.png
Here are my steps:
  1. I click File and then select New Project => Import Project.
  2. I enter the remote URL (https://github.com/<my organization>/<the Flare repository>), my name, and my email address.
  3. I select User from the dropdown.
  4. I click Next.
  5. I click Browse and a Log In window pops up.
  6. I enter my GitHub user name and password.
  7. I click OK.
I then get the redirect error. Also tried selecting Server in Step 4 but it made no difference.

One odd thing I've noticed is that on the log In popup it shows a local directory in the Server field. (Please see the screenshot below.)
flare-git-log-in-popup010919.png
Is that correct? Please note I can see the Repository in GitHub and and it shows me as a team member for the repository. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flare :flare: + Analyzer :analyzer: 2022, Central, Capture :capture: 7.0, Mimic :mimic: 8.1
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Git: Redirect errors when trying to import project

Post by Nita Beck »

Caveat: I’m not a Git expert, but I use Flare’s Git functionality regularly.

Why are you concerned about there being a local GIt repo? That is how Git works. There’s a remote Git repo and a local Git repo. Whenever I’ve imported a project from a remote Git repo, a local Git repo is set up on my machine as part of the process. I recall that Flare prompts me for my credentials twice during this initial import process. Thereafter, and provided that I tell Flare to save my credentials, I don’t need to enter them again.

Perhaps I’ve misunderstood your question... Sorry if I have.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
BrianAtInTouchHealth
Propeller Head

Nita, thank you for your response. The problem is that I can't import a project from our repository through Flare because I get an error when I try to browse the repository. (It never gets to the point of accepting my credentials.) In the past I always used the command line (not Flare) with Git and SVN. So, since I've never used Flare to do this I was curious why it calls something local a server. From your response I assume what's in the field is correct.

I've been going through the forums and I'm starting to suspect it's a two-factor authentication issue (see viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31127&p=134989). I've also submitted a ticket to MadCap so, hopefully, I'll hear back from them. I'd like to use Flare's method instead of the command line since it looks like it's better for collaboration and easier to maintain. However, I have a lot of experience with using Git through the command line so I can go back to that if needed.

Thanks,
Brian
Flare :flare: + Analyzer :analyzer: 2022, Central, Capture :capture: 7.0, Mimic :mimic: 8.1
BrianAtInTouchHealth
Propeller Head

To follow-up on my last post, yes, it was a two-factor authentication issue. I had two create a two RSA keys but now I can pull changes from the repository made made by my coworker without issues. Today, unfortunately, I found I get errors when I try to push changes.

Brian
BrianAtInTouchHealth
Propeller Head

And a follow-up to the previous post. I have found doing the following greatly reduces the number of errors when I push changes.
  • Keep the number of files in a single commit to less than 30 files.
  • On the Source Control tab click Synchronize instead of Push.
Brian