Publish failed: too many redirects or authentication replays

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Publish failed: too many redirects or authentication replays

Post by chuck_agari »

I have a new HTML5 target, and I want to publish it to GitHub, like I have the HTML5 targets for the other 2 help systems.

I started by creating a new destination, and using one of the existing destinations as a template. I changed the destination directory, got all the credentials correct, but when I tried to publish, I got this error:

Publishing target [product_name]_Help...
Connecting...
Error occurred in LibGit2Sharp : too many redirects or authentication replays
Downloading log ...
Uploading changed files...
Uploading Data/HelpSystem.xml... succeeded.
Uploading Data/HelpSystem.js... succeeded.
Uploading Resources/Scripts/require.config.js... succeeded.
Uploading index.mcwebhelp... succeeded.
Removing old files...
Uploading log ...
Checking in: Data/HelpSystem.xml
Checking in: Data/HelpSystem.js
Checking in: Resources/Scripts/require.config.js
Checking in: index.mcwebhelp
Checking in: [product_name].4.log.zip
Source Control : too many redirects or authentication replays : Could not authenticate.too many redirects or authentication replays : Could not authenticate.
Publish failed: too many redirects or authentication replays : Could not authenticate.

I did a Google search and found nearly nothing, except for this one post here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... -6nZMWKLAz

I tried that. I deleted the destination I had made and created a new one, this one blank, and again entered all the correct information. Still the same error when I try to publish.

Now I last did this successfully with my other 2 targets on Oct. 24, and since have upgraded to r2 of Flare. Could the upgrade have broken this? Or is there another issue here?
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Publish failed: too many redirects or authentication rep

Post by chuck_agari »

Hmmm...looks like this may have something to do with 2FA (two-factor authorization), which is pretty much standard procedure these days, especially for corporate and development apps.

According to MadCap support, "Two Factor Authenication is currently not supported in Flare."

Ugh

They did send instructions that purport how to get set up. However, these instructions say first to generate a token, and then bind a project to the repo. Nothing about an already-bound project.

The story continues......
BrianAtInTouchHealth
Propeller Head

Post by BrianAtInTouchHealth »

chuck_agari,

Any luck with this issue? As documented here, I've been having similar issues.

Thanks,
Brian
Flare :flare: + Analyzer :analyzer: 2022, Central, Capture :capture: 7.0, Mimic :mimic: 8.1
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by chuck_agari »

No. In fact, my whole connection to GitHub and the workflow that once worked seems to have become completely discombobulated. MadCap wants a "call," but I was out for the holidays, then in release crunch, so my ability to get their direct intervention has been postponed.
dkaflowitz
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by dkaflowitz »

I get the same error message. Has there been any resolution? I'm having enough trouble with Git without this issue.
dmorga1
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Publish failed: too many redirects or authentication replays

Post by dmorga1 »

Same. I can get into GitHub directly, but Flare can no longer talk to it. I can't push or pull with any of our bound projects.
dmorga1
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Publish failed: too many redirects or authentication replays

Post by dmorga1 »

From my other post: Resolved: In my case, my org changed from a regular network user/pw login to SSO, and this redirect was breaking Flare's authentication process since it couldn't directly reach GitHub that way anymore. I was advised by my IT to use a token instead, and Madcap's very helpful tech support walked me through creating the personal account token in GitHub, and I'm back up and running, using the token as my password in the source control authentication login.