Flows - Is there a way to create flows in Flare?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
mafra1
Jr. Propeller Head

Flows - Is there a way to create flows in Flare?

Post by mafra1 »

Hi,
I'm looking at creating flows that has decisions and branches in them, to use as an overview on a topic to give users a good visual overview of the flow's steps.
It's not a serial, sequential flow, more similar to traditional flow charts.
I'm looking for something where I don't have to draw a flow chart image and then make it interactive as an image map.
Is there some mechanism, or support for defining flows like this in Flare?

Maybe the possibility to define the different paths through this kind of flow?
say that a flow has four steps, 1-4.
You can go through the flow in these different ways:
- 1,2,3,4 or
- 1,2,4 or

Typical flow, see attached image.

thankful for any help , magnus :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Flows - Is there a way to create flows in Flare?

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Seems to me like cross-references or hyperlinks will be what you need, but I'd need to understand a bit better how you want the thing to look. You could probably fudge it with tables, but that might not give you a good enough end look.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
mafra1
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by mafra1 »

Like a flow chart.
We have flows with decision points and parallel branches/paths. the image in the original post is one alternative how it could look like.
In the best of worlds :) say that I have a flow which you can follow in 2 different ways/paths:
first path is: step a, b, and d
and the second path is a,c,d.
Say that I define and state that somewhere in Flare, and then I would render one flow which shows these two paths, not as individual paths but combined into one flow.
i.e to something like the attached image, where the blue circles are interactive and link to different htm pages.
mini-flow-chartJPG.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dinnit
Propeller Head

Post by Dinnit »

I also wanted to do something similar but ran into problems. I did use a flowchart saved as an image and then hyperlinked. Lot of work but looked good until I realisd that that solution is no good for responsive outputs,as the linked area ends up nowhere near the oignal point.

I'm still wanting to pursue this somehow so will be interested if anyone has any further ideas.

Ann
Ann
Started on Flare 3, now on Flare 2017 r2 + Capture (occasionally) and Analyser (very occasionally)
Windows 10 Enterprise
BedfordWriter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by BedfordWriter »

There was a recent webinar that might be what you're looking for. "Interactive Wizards in Madcap Flare".
https://www.madcapsoftware.com/resource ... inars.aspx
mafra1
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by mafra1 »

Interesting.
It might help us with some parts, and also this could fit in a troubleshooting context.
The, largest challenge for us is to present that outline/overview of a flow to the readers and keep it in view for them at all time, while they progress through the flow.

/cheers magnus
Dinnit
Propeller Head

Post by Dinnit »

Yes - I'm trialing the online wizard idea at the moment specifically to deal with troubleshooting scenarios.

For the areas where I wanted more of a flow diagram I've had to fall back on using lists of drop-downs using up or down arrows as the lst image under differently coloured header blocks.

Ann
Ann
Started on Flare 3, now on Flare 2017 r2 + Capture (occasionally) and Analyser (very occasionally)
Windows 10 Enterprise