Bullets in bulleted lists misaligned vertically in PDF

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
oleksandr_kokoshyn
Propeller Head

Bullets in bulleted lists misaligned vertically in PDF

Post by oleksandr_kokoshyn »

Hello,

The bullets in bulleted lists are misaligned vertically in my PDF output. The bullets appear to be at the lower border of the line. In HTML5 they are fine. This is how they look:
Screenshot_1.png
This is my css code. There are no other places where styles for ul or li are modified. This happens no matter what's inside of li: plain text, <p>, <span>.
The funny thing is, I've just downloaded MadCap's own pre-written manual, and they have exactly the same issue in lists: https://madcappeteam.mcoutput.com/employeepdf/PDF.pdf

Code: Select all

ol,
ul
{
	line-height: 1.2em;
	margin-top: 0px;
	margin-bottom: 14px;
}

li
{
	margin-bottom: 6pt;
	margin-top: 6pt;	
}

li p
{
	margin-top: 0px;	
	vertical-align: middle;
}

li span
{
	vertical-align: middle;
}
Does anyone know how to align the bullets properly in PDF output? Basically, I want them to look the same as in HTML5 output.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Bullets in bulleted lists misaligned vertically in PDF

Post by Nita Beck »

This is a known issue with PDF output. I've suffered with it myself. Please submit a bug report so that we can get this issue more attention than it's been getting. Sorry that I don't have a workaround to suggest. I haven't been able to find one.

EDIT: It's bug # 55309.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
oleksandr_kokoshyn
Propeller Head

Thanks Nita! I've just submitted this as a bug.
I'm getting really frustrated by Flare's CSS parser.
oleksandr_kokoshyn
Propeller Head

The styles that worked for me for the print media:

Code: Select all

ul
	{
		list-style-image: none;
	}

ul > li::marker
	{
		content: '•';
	}
The reply from MadCap support:
"Thank you for contacting MadCap Technical Support. The alignment with PDF output is a known issue with the disc and square list-style-type.
A method I would use is to replace the bullets with a png/image of a bullet that has the margin and padding you desire for in your project. You can also set it so the image is only in the print medium so you wont have to change anything in the already working HTML5 output.
Please note that I have submitted a Bug Report on your behalf (#55309) with our development team and you will be notified via email if a fix for this is included in a future patch or release version."
marisoul
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by marisoul »

Any news from MadCap regarding this bug in PDF output?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Given that 55309 is not found in the release notes published in the MadCap knowledge base (http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/Welcome.htm), it's probably not fixed. But otherwise, in my experience, MadCap does not disclose what fixes it's working on. Maybe you'd get farther by asking MadCap directly, rather than posting on these peer-to-peer forums.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!