Using Multiple TOCs and TOC display

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Arpita_17
Propeller Head

Using Multiple TOCs and TOC display

Post by Arpita_17 »

Hi Everyone,

I have 2 TOCs in my project, Main TOC and Module TOC. The Output is HTML5. The Main TOC is set to display as the Top Navigation Menu. And the Module TOC as the left hand tree structure when you open a Module topic from home page. Now my issues are:
1. Clicking the Module Topic from Home page open that module Introduction and then open the entire TOC Items under that module. When I click on the 3rd level TOC, the above levels auto-hide. I want the toc to display as Fixed and entire including for other modules. How can I do this?
2. ]Is there some pre-styled TOC format that I can view and use that is available free of cost?
3. For some reason, the breadcrumbs proxy displays for the Main TOC items but not for Module TOC items; though both have the same Stylesheet. Is there a way this can be rectified?
4. Also, with the basic search feature, is there a way I can set the highlight keywords in the search results?

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. 8)
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Using Multiple TOCs and TOC display

Post by NorthEast »

1. It does this because you've selected the Context sensitive setting in the menu proxy. To show the full menu, edit the menu proxy and de-select Context sensitive.

2. MadCap provides templates: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/download ... templates/

3. The breadcrumbs proxy just shows the TOC you selected for the target. So to include your module topics, your module TOCs must be included inside the TOC used by the target.

4. See the help: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... h-Hits.htm
Arpita_17
Propeller Head

Post by Arpita_17 »

Thanks Dave for your replies.
Further queries (in a loop):
1. Now that the full menu is available, it displays as a long scroll-able list of content topics. Is there a way to customise the toc display so that user can expand and contract the topics.
2. Thanks, I think I am too late in this project to restart with a new template. I am not sure what all will I break and have release this month...so will clean up what I have. :-)
3. I am not sure how this is done, can you please expand for a naive user understanding.

Thanks again. You're a savior.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

1. Unfortunately the menu proxy doesn't support expand/collapse. You can only get that using the side navigation skin.

3. To include your module TOCs in your main TOC:
a) Open your main TOC (the one used by the target).
b) Drag and drag-and-drop your module TOCs inside the main TOC -this will create links to the TOCs.
c) For each linked TOC (in your main TOC), right-click and open Properties. Go to the the on Advanced tab and set When merging, replace node with merged TOC.
Arpita_17
Propeller Head

Post by Arpita_17 »

Ya, even I realised that later that the menu proxy does not support collapse/ expand; is there a way around it? I am not confident but would making the Module TOC as the primary TOC help. But not sure how the top navigation menu thing would work out then. :?
Also, with the linking Main TOC in Module TOC, I did as you said. Selected the "When merging, replace node with merged TOC" option. I dragged the Main TOC into my Module TOC and selected the option. However, the breadcrumbs still do not appear for the topics. However, they appear when I set this as my primary TOC in target.

Hat tip to you for being this patient with me :-)
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Arpita_17 wrote:Also, with the linking Main TOC in Module TOC, I did as you said. Selected the "When merging, replace node with merged TOC" option. I dragged the Main TOC into my Module TOC and selected the option.
It's the other way around - drag the module TOC inside the main TOC.
Arpita_17
Propeller Head

Post by Arpita_17 »

Oh OK...I get it now. But doing that copies the module on the top navigation bar, which is the reason why I wanted two TOCs in the first place. I can have the Main TOC as a part of Module TOC but not other way round. Is that possible?
Arpita_17
Propeller Head

Post by Arpita_17 »

Just a thought...is there a way I can hide few menu items from displaying in the top navigation? If that can be attained, I can do as you said and hide the Module TOC from displaying in the top navigation.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

The breadcrumbs use the same TOC as the target - so if you want the breadcrumbs to show for all the topics in the modules, they need to be included in the same TOC as the target.

If you want to hide menu items in the top nav, you can choose the Top Menu Levels to Show (Depth) in the top nav skin (Setup tab).
Arpita_17
Propeller Head

Post by Arpita_17 »

Dave Lee wrote:The breadcrumbs use the same TOC as the target - so if you want the breadcrumbs to show for all the topics in the modules, they need to be included in the same TOC as the target.

If you want to hide menu items in the top nav, you can choose the Top Menu Levels to Show (Depth) in the top nav skin (Setup tab).
That's a brilliant idea...why din I think of it. Works all fine now...Thanks so much Dave. :lol: