Auto-numbering gone wrong

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.

Auto-numbering gone wrong

Postby Vibeke B on Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:48 am

Hi again!
Can anyone help me out here? I have a manual written in English and my colleagues used MadCap Lingo to localize it to Arabic. Now the numbering has gone wrong.

The auto-numbering settings for each topic and the TOC should be correct, or at least they are the same as the English version where all was good. Attaching an image. All the 3.1 should renumber automatically. I cannot pinpoint where this goes wrong. Any ideas? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vibeke B
Propeller Head
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:14 am

Re: Auto-numbering gone wrong

Postby Nita Beck on Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:46 am

I would first look in the stylesheet. In the auto-number format definitions, was {n+} changed to {n}, perhaps?
Nita
Image
Content Strategist / Information Architect / Flare Consultant: http://beck-communications.com
Manager, Rochester Flare User Group: http://www.facebook.com/RochesterFlareUserGroup
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus
 
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:57 am
Location: Pittsford, NY

Re: Auto-numbering gone wrong

Postby Vibeke B on Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:43 am

Hi Nita,

I tried to change {n+} to {n} this but that does not fix it. Instead of all the numbers being 3.1 and 3.0.1, they all turn into 3.0 and 3.0.0, but they are still repeated and do not increment.

But thanks for your suggestion.
Vibeke B
Propeller Head
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:14 am

Re: Auto-numbering gone wrong

Postby Nita Beck on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:33 am

Sorry that I wasn't clear.

I wasn't suggesting that that was the fix, but rather that that would be the problem. It should be {n+} if it's going to increment. If it had been changed to {n}, that would stop the incrementing.

Would you post the code for your headings from the stylesheet in the translated project so we can take a look?
Nita
Image
Content Strategist / Information Architect / Flare Consultant: http://beck-communications.com
Manager, Rochester Flare User Group: http://www.facebook.com/RochesterFlareUserGroup
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus
 
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:57 am
Location: Pittsford, NY

Re: Auto-numbering gone wrong

Postby Vibeke B on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 am

Thanks Nita, for tying to help. As you can see from my reply, I am not an advanced user. But here is are the styles from the style sheet. I cannot say I totally understand them. I inherited the project and do not have formal training in CSS.

h1
{
border-bottom-width: 0px;
column-break-after: auto;
line-height: 1.3;
font-size: 1.3em;
font-weight: bold;
mc-auto-number-format: 'GH:{chapnum}{ } ';
mc-heading-level: 1;
mc-auto-number-position: inside-head;
orphans: 3;
page-break-after: avoid;
page-break-inside: avoid;
}



h2
{
column-break-after: auto;
page-break-inside: auto;
font-size: 1.2em;
font-weight: bold;
margin-bottom: 4px;
margin-top: 20px;
mc-auto-number-format: '{chapnum}.{n+} ';
mc-auto-number-offset: 0px;
mc-auto-number-position: inside-head;
mc-heading-level: 2;
orphans: 3;
page-break-after: avoid;


}

h3
{
font-size: 1.1em;
font-weight: bold;
column-break-after: auto;
margin-bottom: 4px;
margin-top: 16px;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-top: 0;
orphans: 3;
page-break-inside: auto;
page-break-after: avoid;
mc-auto-number-format: '{chapnum}.{n}.{n+} ';
mc-auto-number-position: inside-head;
mc-heading-level: 3;
}

h4
{
mc-heading-level: 4;
mc-auto-number-position: inside-head;
font-size: 9pt;
page-break-after: avoid;
mc-auto-number-format: '{chapnum}.{Cn}.{n}.{n+} ';
}

h5
{
mc-heading-level: 5;
}
Vibeke B
Propeller Head
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:14 am

Re: Auto-numbering gone wrong

Postby Vibeke B on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:22 am

I got a reply from support and wanted to share it in case others have the same problem.

The mc-auto-number-format property that was set for the h2, h3, and h4 elements in my project were set to

'{chapnum}.{n}.{n+} ' ;

but they should have a CH: in the front like this:

'CH:{chapnum}.{n}.{n+} ';


Works like a charm now! :D
Vibeke B
Propeller Head
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:14 am


Return to Printed Documentation Targets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest