Computer Voice and Scripts for Audio

This Forum is for General Issues about Mimic
parsonsv
Sr. Propeller Head

Computer Voice and Scripts for Audio

Post by parsonsv »

I wanted to move from Captivate to Mimic until I couldn't find a way to provide audio using computer voice. We can enter a script in Captivate and then use Microsoft voices to create audio. While that's not the most glamorous, it works for short minute videos and it works for the company in sustainment because it's easy to update.

Captivate appears to only allow voice if I record my actual voice via microphone. I don't appear to be able to create videos with computer voice. Is that correct?
Victoria Clarke
BedfordWriter
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Computer Voice and Scripts for Audio

Post by BedfordWriter »

Did you mean "Mimic appears to" rather than Captivate appears to"? I think you would need to save the computer voice to a WAV or MP3 file and use that on one of the tracks.

Curious why you're moving from Captivate to Mimic. What do you see as the advantage?
parsonsv
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by parsonsv »

Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks!
I want to make it as easy as possible for the business to self-curate or maintain learning pieces, and since Mimic is installed as part of the suite (and enables some handy features like conditions), it's a better suited solution than asking them to also get Captivate licenses.

In addition, using text-to-speech isn't necessarily the same in quality as recording a real voice, but it's a less expensive and more manageable sustainment offer, but it doesn't appear it's something I an do with Mimic.
Victoria Clarke
NY_GAL
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by NY_GAL »

I am trying to find out the same thing! How can I add closed captions to Mimic? I've search all the help and videos, even YouTube, and I can't find anything about this.
We need captions and we need to translate them into multiple languages.
Thanks
NY_GAL
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by NY_GAL »

Hi,
If you publish your video to YouTube, you can add captions when you edit the video. The voice-to-text is pretty good in English, plus you can edit the captions to correct mispellings and incorrect punctuation. You can also select any language for auto-translate.
I believe this is what you see when you watch video tutorials for all MadCap products.

The challenge I'm having is we don't want to auto-translate due to quality issues and there are certain advantages to text-to-speech for voice-overs. We are using this now in Captivate. Asking someone to provide narration for our videos and re-recording for updates would be a real challenge for us.

I guess the search continues...
parsonsv
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by parsonsv »

NY_GAL wrote:The challenge I'm having is we don't want to auto-translate due to quality issues and there are certain advantages to text-to-speech for voice-overs. We are using this now in Captivate. Asking someone to provide narration for our videos and re-recording for updates would be a real challenge for us. .
I have the same problem! Someone mentioned the other day that you can install software just for text-to-speech, which is outside the Mimic tool, but is at least an option. You would load in your script, convert to computer voice, download the clip and import it as audio into your Mimic video. At least, that's the theory. I haven't tried it as I won't be allowed to use that approach because I can only install company-approved software.

For closed caption, perhaps you can just add a text box at the bottom of the video frame that plays your script text as the video runs. You can use conditions for English and French.
Victoria Clarke
kathryngz
Propeller Head

Post by kathryngz »

In case it helps, I just learned of this free text-to-speech site today. It has a variety of voices and languages.
https://ttsmp3.com

Kathryn
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Post by trent the thief »

Thanks, Kathryn! I just started using Mimic again and this is very useful. I'll be using this going for training/tutorial voice overs.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare: