Cannot capture screen into a new file with profile

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
fchan
Propeller Head

Cannot capture screen into a new file with profile

Post by fchan »

I've updated to Flare 2018r2, and I don't know if the update also changed Capture 7. Here's the problem when I try to create a new screen capture:

First, I use File > New > New from Profile to create a new tab in the Capture editor. Everything looks fine and the tab title is Untitled.png, with properties specified in the desired profile.

Second, I capture the screen. The resultant screenshot is presented in a new tab in the Capture editor, entitled Untitled.bmp. Why is the image placed in a new tab, not the tab entitled Untitled.png?

I called tech support and this is reproducible. They said the workaround is to apply the desired profile to the Untitled.bmp file. This workaround doesn't work for me, and this workaround should not be required in the first place.

I believe it used to work properly before. I don't know why this is happening all of a sudden. Do others have the same experience? Thanks!
fchan
Propeller Head

Re: Cannot capture screen into a new file with profile

Post by fchan »

Actually the Untitled.bmp file is using the correct profile, as shown at the bottom of the window. And when I do a Save as, the default format is PNG so that tells me that the file is taking on the properties of the profile. It's just weird why Capture doesn't directly capture into the first tab (Untitled.png). But I can live it as long as I'm sure that the file I'm saving has the properties of my profile.
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Cannot capture screen into a new file with profile

Post by atomdocs »

You can skip your initial task of creating an empty tab. You don't need to set up an empty space as a destination for a subsequent capture. Whenever you make a capture, it is automatically displayed in a new tab. If you want to use a profile for a capture, you can select the profile in the Edit tab > New Screen Capture Options.

I think you have figured this out already, but I don't think it is a bug. You just don't need to create an empty image before making a capture, just jump straight to the capture process and let Capture set up the tab for the resulting image.

The new empty image function can be used if you want to build a composite image from several image assets that you already have. In that case, you would create the empty image as you describe in your first step, and then add image assets using the Insert Image command (Edit tab). It is also possible to insert a new capture into the empty image or composite image using the Insert Screenshot command (Edit tab). This is why I don't think this is a bug: Capture does provide a way to do what you describe, but its primary purpose is for creating composite images rather than single capture images.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7