Source Control Issues after Updating to 2018 r2?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Source Control Issues after Updating to 2018 r2?

Post by Chicago_HPT »

I'm using Flare 2018 and my project is bound to Team Foundation Server (TFS). After a rocky start back in April, the source control features have been working nicely since. After updating to Flare 2018 r2, however, I started encountering odd behavior related to source control.
  • Up to now, when I modify files that have not yet been checked out, the large "check out" dialog lists all the the project files, with a checkmark next to the files I need to check out. All I have to do is press Enter to check out the files and proceed. Now, however, the dialog displays the project folder (just the folder), unchecked. I can check it but then Flare checks out every file in the project.
  • I've been experiencing synchronization and check-in errors.
  • Just recently, on the eve of our product's first release, checking in the files deleted nearly everything. Much back and forth and restore efforts and file copies later, I had the project back. I unbound it, cleaned up the the project folder on the source control side, then copied the project back to source control and rebound the project. It seemed to work for a brief time but, within an hour, I started getting the weird check-out dialog again.
  • This time, I didn't touch the binding but contined to work with all the files simply checked out. I built and published the project but two files had mysteriously vanished!
  • I also encountered a strange link issue. Two links in a much-used snippet were broken in one particular topic. In that topic, I'd converted the snippet to text and somehow the links went from "Place in project" to "External File." The link was broken but the actual linked files were in their rightful locations. The links in the [unconverted] snippet remain just fine.
Is anyone else experiencing anything like this? I've got tickets into MadCap support but I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing issues with 2018 r2.

Cheers,
-jeff
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Source Control Issues after Updating to 2018 r2?

Post by NorthEast »

I use TFS and noticed issues with the Pending Changes list straight after installing 2018r2 - for example, I'm seeing files files listed as "Pending add", which were already added and checked in (some 3 years ago!).
It's a bit annoying as Pending Changes was previously broken for TFS for over a year (from Flare v12 to 2017r3), and now it appears broken again.

As for the "strange link issue", I'd suggest you close the project, then go to Windows Explorer and delete the project's Analyzer folder.
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Chicago_HPT »

Thanks Dave. I fixed the link issue, though I admit it didn't occur to me to delete the Analyzer folder to do so.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with TFS, too, but I'm glad it's not just me.

-jeff
krsinger
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by krsinger »

I'm also experiencing a problem with Source Control check in. Some of my topics with a Pending Add, Locked By Other User status receive the following error message when I try to either Add them or Check them in: "TF14088: '$/Flare/Content/Topics/../....' must be checked in because it is a rename or an undelete." I've tried closing the project and Flare, then opening them both again. I don't know how to get my topics checked in now! Does anyone know what I can do to check them in?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Thanks.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

MadCap support suggested removing my local workspace mapping (in Visual Studio), deleting the projects from my local drive, then re-importing all the projects from source control again.

I haven't tried this, so can't confirm it would work.
I've done this before in previous Flare versions that had issues with TFS, and it didn't solve anything.
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Chicago_HPT »

Dave Lee wrote:MadCap support suggested removing my local workspace mapping (in Visual Studio), deleting the projects from my local drive, then re-importing all the projects from source control again.

I haven't tried this, so can't confirm it would work.
I've done this before in previous Flare versions that had issues with TFS, and it didn't solve anything.
Yeah, I also tried that stuff while on a call with Support last week (or two weeks ago? it all blurs together these days) and it didn't work for me. :(
sgiguere15
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by sgiguere15 »

I also had same issues with TFS after updating to 2018 r2. I rolled back to MadCap Flare version 2018_6738 and now everything works well again.
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by mattf »

Hi folks,
A similar issue: my Pending Changes list is filling up with files that have already been deleted. They are not in source control (SVN) and they are not in my local Content folder, but they won't leave the Pending Changes list. If I do manage to make them go away (recommit them again), they come back the next time I update. I feel as though if I could find the actual Pending Changes "file" and remove it, then things would be okay and a new one would be created. But I don't know what this file is called or where it lives. Ideas?

Thanks,
-Matt
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.
niglon
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by niglon »

I reported this to Madcap and they have identified a bug in r2 relating to the files appearing incorrectly in the Check In and Pending screens. A fault report has been logged with developers and is pending resolution.
Mdmonarrez
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Mdmonarrez »

I started having the same issue earlier this week. Has anyone found a resolution to this issue?
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by mattf »

@niglon,
Thanks for this info and for submitting a ticket. Can you tell me what the number of the Madcap ticket is that you submitted? This is happening again, and I'd like to call them up (I'm Platinum, eh) and add a very LOUD vocalization in support of fixing that bug. I'm getting pretty tired of checking out the whole repo afresh.
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

My reported case was 142382.

MadCap support haven't confirmed it as a bug. They just suggested deleting workspace mappings, which doesn't work.

This is very similar to issues with Pending Changes (and TFS) that were in Flare 12, and 2017 (all versions), which I reported too.
Xonk
Propeller Head

Post by Xonk »

Have the same problems here