How to create two-part document?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
Finner
Propeller Head

How to create two-part document?

Post by Finner »

I want to combine a user guide and admin guide into one document, because so many users also have admin privileges. I want the two parts (user guide and admin guide) to be separate within the one document. What is the best way to do this?

My targets include online help, Salesforce articles, a PDF guide, and a Word document (used for review purposes only). My documentation group uses a standard template that we create, and I want to do this with minimal disruption to that template and without having to retag a lot of my topics. Could we create an "Appendix" style for the admin guide? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
bunnycat
Propeller Head

Re: How to create two-part document?

Post by bunnycat »

I've had templated Flare projects where we had a PageLayout (and its associated heading styles) specifically for a Part page that worked as dividers between the chapters.
(It was nothing special as a page layout - it looked very much like a regular chapter page - but all that is cosmetic styling).

We used it with the TOC's Printed Output Break Type - chapter break Properties and auto-numbering scheme - especially when we wanted automatically numbered parts.

Then it was a matter of creating a topic, dragging that topic into a TOC, assigning the Part pageLayout for print, and giving it the proper page break and auto numbering behavior.

Then your 2 guide TOCs would need similar auto-numbering and other pageLayout properties assigned as needed to denote the chapters, etc.

Hope this helps!

CAT
Finner
Propeller Head

Re: How to create two-part document?

Post by Finner »

Thank you--I'll try this!