Formatting my Micro Content Output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
dslocum
Jr. Propeller Head

Formatting my Micro Content Output

Post by dslocum »

Brand new guy here so go easy.

Just loaded Flare 2019 this morning specifically for the Micro Content feature. We would like to have what is essentially multiple responses to a phrase. For out response to a phrase, we would like to provide a procedure and an image, or a response along with a video. Our plan is to create our micro content from "snippets" taken from our "long-subjects" and present this "single-source" data with, as I said, an image/video/table you name it. It seems as if I am only able to "link" one response (micro content item).

I thought maybe a style sheet setting but I don't see anything helpful. I am an old trainer who has become a new tech writer and I am still learning the ins and outs of flare. Any suggestions?
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Formatting my Micro Content Output

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Welcome to Flare and the forums, and I think you'll find the natives in the forum are generally friendly! :D

Because the micro content thing is so new you might not get many responses, but if you haven't seen it already, there's a webinar that discusses micro content. You can find it here (it's the first one mentioned):

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/resource ... inars.aspx

That might give you what you're after.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
dslocum
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by dslocum »

ChoccieMuffin, thank you for your response. I did indeed attend the webinar but based on your response I viewed it again. Nothing specific on my topic unfortunately. I guess that I could include an image or screenshot in my long content topic and play around with adding a conditional tag to the image and the same thing with a "how to" video.
I will keep checking back to see if anyone else has any other ideas.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

Playing devil's advocate, how would the search, for example, know which response to return? Or would it return all responses? In which case your other search results are likely 'below the fold', and maybe you'd be better off just increasing the number of characters in the search context text?

It sort of sounds like you want to do something like MadCap is doing when there is a lot of information about a particular subject. They create a mini landing page with a brief overview and then links out the the appropriate topics for more information.

They also have two other styles, depending on the type of response they are providing for the phrase.

So maybe you need a couple of different styles of mini-content, depending on what you're presenting.

Have a look at "What the MadCap doc team does" and see if this provides some ideas:
https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... ontent.htm
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Psider wrote:Playing devil's advocate, how would the search, for example, know which response to return? Or would it return all responses?
It appears to just return one response - presumably the best match.

I was trying this out, and my impression is that it works ok if you enter the exact search phrase (that you set up in the micro content). If you enter a search term that matches more than one piece of micro content, Flare will just pick one piece of micro content. In my limited tests it didn't always pick the item of micro content I expected, so I guess it's important to set up your search phrases thoroughly.
dslocum wrote: We would like to have what is essentially multiple responses to a phrase.
The search results only display one piece of micro content. Maybe have links to any additional related content.