Push failure - Flare is changing an email address in Git

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Push failure - Flare is changing an email address in Git

Post by mattf »

Hi,
I'm able to publish into my local Git master, but I cannot push the changes from local up to the Git Origin, either through Flare ("Push to remote" checkbox in Destination file) or externally using Source Tree or GitHub. Troubleshooting indicates that Flare has somewhere changed an email address in the Git configuration to "unknown@madcapsoftware.com" where some authentication in Git is looking expecting to see my work email address. We cannot find where this is being changed. Has anyone seen this before and do you know where this is address is being set?

Thanks in advance,
-Matt
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Push failure - Flare is changing an email address in Git

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

I'm having a similar issue. I am able to successfully push local changes to my remote branches, synchronize, etc., however the "Author" information reflects a user of "unknown <unknown@madcapsoftware.com>":
GitCredentialsChange.png
This issue seems to have occurred only after upgrade to Flare 2019. I'm going to double-check by trying a commit/push using Flare 2018 r2, then submit a bug for Flare 2019 if I can prove it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Austin Wright

Flare 2022 r3 (18.2.8431.26678) :: TopNav HTML5 / PDF output
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by mattf »

Hi Oz,
I played one of my Get Out of Jail Free cards and called Madcap about this, but they couldn't spring me. Somewhere, at some point, Flare had overwritten an email address in Git that's supposed to match my email address. One of my devs determined that "it is the GitLab pre-receive hook on the server that is checking the e-mail address, and rejecting the push". I went round and round with Support about it, and spent more than an hour on the phone with them while they quietly tried various things that didn't work, but I couldn't keep up. At one point they said it was a bug in Flare, which... yes, undoubtedly. But I gave up when they wanted my devs to set up another new Git repo for me --for some reason we were having trouble pushing (even outside of Flare) into existing Git repos -- we were trying to release a product and we didn't have the resources to keep poking at it. I hope you fare better. We do not have our docs in Git because of this. We left the docs in SVN.

Bon chance, Monsieur TheGreatAndPowerfulOz!

-Matt
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.
Folkie
Propeller Head

Post by Folkie »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:I'm having a similar issue. I am able to successfully push local changes to my remote branches, synchronize, etc., however the "Author" information reflects a user of "unknown <unknown@madcapsoftware.com>":

This issue seems to have occurred only after upgrade to Flare 2019. I'm going to double-check by trying a commit/push using Flare 2018 r2, then submit a bug for Flare 2019 if I can prove it out.
Hi, did you submit a bug for this? We use Git with BitBucket and haven't upgraded to Flare 2019 yet, waiting for the early bugs to be ironed out first but I suspect this issue would be a major problem for us if it hit.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
Sr. Propeller Head

Folkie wrote:Hi, did you submit a bug for this? We use Git with BitBucket and haven't upgraded to Flare 2019 yet, waiting for the early bugs to be ironed out first but I suspect this issue would be a major problem for us if it hit.
I did not submit a bug for this yet, as it seems that there is just something about the network in my work environment that causes this (blocks my credentials info in some way?). When I attempt to push to the remote repo using my home network, I do not see the issue at all (at least I didn't see it on one occasion when I tried).

As I mentioned, even though the "Author" value shows up as "unknown <unknown@madcapsoftware.com>" when I'm on my work network, I'm still able to interact with the remote repo from Flare with no actual issues, so I'm hesitant to consider this a functional "bug" (i.e., it doesn't prevent me from interacting with the remote repo from within Flare).
Last edited by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz on Tue May 14, 2019 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Wright

Toko
Propeller Head

Post by Toko »

OUR GIT expert solved it:

2. Access Flare project directory, right-click empty > Git Bash:
3. Paste the following into the Git Bash (below credentials must be identical to what appears in Gerrit):
git config --global user.name "<Your User Name>"
git config --global user.email <your email>
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
Sr. Propeller Head

Toko wrote:OUR GIT expert solved it:

2. Access Flare project directory, right-click empty > Git Bash:
3. Paste the following into the Git Bash (below credentials must be identical to what appears in Gerrit):
git config --global user.name "<Your User Name>"
git config --global user.email <your email>
Thanks very much for your post @Toko! I implemented this suggestion and am now able to push updates to my remote Git repos, with the correct user name and e-mail address reflected. :D
GitCredentialsCorrect.png
I'm still not certain how my Git "user.name" and "user.email" setting values got wiped out (Flare 2019 bug?), but at least am glad to have resolved the issue.

By the way, before implementing the fix, I did a little research on the whole "git config" arena and found some additional information that may be helpful to others. The following instructions assume you have Git for Windows installed on your local workstation (as do the instructions offered by @Toko), but the same commands can be carried out using the Windows Command Prompt, when pointed to the appropriate Git repo directories:
  1. To see the "user.name" and/or "user.email" Git config setting value (if one exists) for a specific Flare project repository:
    1. Navigate to the Flare project directory, right-click in the empty area an choose "Git Bash Here" from the context menu.
    2. Enter either of the following at the command line prompt, then strike the Enter key:

Code: Select all

git config --local user.name

git config --local user.email
    3. If a value exists for "user.name" or "user.email" at the local level (i.e., for the specific project Git repo), the value will display. If it doesn't exist, nothing will display (an empty command line prompt will be returned), but it may exist at the global level, instead (see below).
  2. To see the "user.name" and/or "user.email" Git config setting value (if one exists) for the current Windows user (you), which applies to any given Flare project repository:
    1. Navigate to any directory, right-click in the empty area an choose "Git Bash Here" from the context menu.
    2. Enter either of the following at the command line prompt, then strike the Enter key:

git config --global user.name

git config --global user.email
    3. If a value exists for "user.name" or "user.email" at the global level (i.e., for any project Git repo), the value will display. If it doesn't exist, nothing will display (an empty command line prompt will be returned).
  3. To view a listing of all existing Git config setting values for a specific Flare project repository:
    1. Navigate to the Flare project directory, right-click in the empty area an choose "Git Bash Here" from the context menu.
    2. Enter the following at the command line prompt, then strike the Enter key:

git config --list --local
    3. If values exist for "user.name" and/or "user.email" at the local level (i.e., for the specific project Git repo), you'll see them among other values in the listing. If you don't see them, they may exist at the global level, instead (see below).
  4. To view a listing of all existing Git config setting values for the current Windows user (you), which apply to any given Flare project repository:
    1. Navigate to any directory, right-click in the empty area an choose "Git Bash Here" from the context menu.
    2. Enter the following at the command line prompt, then strike the Enter key:

git config --list --global
    3. If values exist for "user.name" and/or "user.email" at the global level (i.e., for any project Git repo), you'll see them among other values in the listing.
Here's where I gathered the above information: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/122 ... r-46986031

Final note: The majority of my Git repos are for Flare projects, where I'll be using my name and company e-mail address for commits. However, I also have a couple of Git repos for personal projects, where I use my personal e-mail address. So, for me, it made sense to set my "user.name" and "user.email" Git settings to reflect my company account at the global level (rather than set them locally for each Flare project). Then, for the handful of personal Git repos, I set the "user.name" and "user.email" settings locally to reflect my personal account (this overrides the global settings for those select repos).

Hope this makes sense and can help others on the Git journey!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Austin Wright