DotNetHelp no longer supported in Flare 2019

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
henkjans
Propeller Head

DotNetHelp no longer supported in Flare 2019

Post by henkjans »

Help!!

after upgrading to Flare 2019 my targets (DotNetHelp) are no longer supported.
I can't remember some kind of announcement about this (correct me if I'm wrong).

Is it possible to downgrade to 2018 somehow, so I have some time to rewrite my Help from DotNetHelp to ..... ??

Besides that, I use the powerful "Context Sensitive Help" mechanism of DotNetHelp. So the software call the DotNetHelp file including a tag number, so that DotNetHelp know's where to open the Help file.
Is there a equivalent target which supports this kind of "Context Sensitive Help"??

regards
Thanks,
Henk Jan Schut
The Netherlands
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: DotNetHelp no longer supported in Flare 2019

Post by Nita Beck »

You can run Flare 2018 r2 and Flare 2019 side by side, although you can't have the same project open in both at the same time. So if you want to continue to use Flare 2018 r2 to build DotNetHelp, you may. That said, if you use any of the new functionality in Flare 2019, such as Micro Content, Flare 2018 r2 will have no idea what to do with it and using it might even cause builds to fail.

Regarding any announcement, I agree that MadCap wasn't terribly loud about announcing that they would be deprecating DotNetHelp. But they did state so in Flare 2018's documentation: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... -Flare.htm
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
BedfordWriter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by BedfordWriter »

HTML help targets support CSH. I've been using it for years.

Your developers will have to change the call they make in response to an F1 press, but it's just a couple lines of code.
And, my memory may be blurry, but I recall that my switch from DotNet to HTML help really wasn't difficult. Mostly a matter of changing the target and tweaking the style.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Context sensitive help can also be accomplished with Side Nav, Top Nav, and tripane HTML5 outputs, although these are not compiled help systems such is HTML (aka CHM) help.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

I'd say the equivalent target is HTML5 help, which supports CSH too, and can be run locally on your PC or online.

I wouldn't really recommend moving to HTML Help (CHM), as it's an extremely old format (has it been updated in the last 10 years?).
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

Dave Lee wrote:I wouldn't really recommend moving to HTML Help (CHM), as it's an extremely old format (has it been updated in the last 10 years?).
Really only security fixes that have reduced functionality since 2004. :)

http://kb.helpwaregroup.com/ms-html-help/hh_info
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

We still use HTML Help (CHM) in one product, and I find it a real problem as it's locked to using old browser compatibility - I think HTML Help is rendered in IE9 compatiblity mode.
Anyway, this means it doesn't support current CSS standards that will work fine in browsers, so I have to rewrite my CSS specifically for use with HTML Help - e.g. not use web fonts (@font-face) or any CSS3.
BedfordWriter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by BedfordWriter »

I seem to have introduced a red herring into the discussion by (mistakenly) typing "HTML Help" when I meant the various HTML5 outputs such as Top Nav, Side Nav, and such.
Sorry about that.