Why aren't empty books in PDF output?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Why aren't empty books in PDF output?

Post by chuck_agari »

I use a "review" TOC to add topics to for review so I can output only review topics and attach the PDFs to Jira cards and post them to doc review Slack channels and so reviewers don't have to wade through a whole manual to find what they need to review.

I want to do this:
books_in_PDFs.png
In the target settings, I have the "Use TOC depth for heading levels" setting selected. Yet the resulting TOC ignores the top level, leaving me with a "flat" TOC with nothing to divide the review sections:
review_TOC.png
What's going on here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by chuck_agari on Mon May 20, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Why aren't empty boosk in PDF output?

Post by Nita Beck »

I'm not in Flare at the moment, so I'm going on memory. There's a setting someplace that tells Flare to inject pages/topics in output for those TOC items that are not linked to topics. I'd suspect that's the issue. Hope this is enough to get you pointed in the right direction.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Why aren't empty boosk in PDF output?

Post by chuck_agari »

Thanks Nita! That's exactly it.

Y'know, though, even though I managed to overlook that setting that's _right underneath_ the "Use TOC depth for heading levels" setting, it sort of boggles the mind that when you use the latter setting and build a very specifically organized TOC that you'd need to also set the former.