Cross-reference search terms in SideNav help

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
blindamood
Propeller Head

Cross-reference search terms in SideNav help

Post by blindamood »

Since the SideNav format does not include an Index, I'm looking for advice on how to enter cross-reference terms in order to bolster the full-text search capabilities. For instance, for "place an order", a user might want to look for "add an order" or "create an order". As far as I know, the full-text search only looks for the search terms within the body of the help topics, but does not consider other topic meta data (e.g., keywords). Does anyone know a good way to enable cross-reference terms to be searched for, even if they don't result in highlighted text when the search terms are found?
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Cross-reference search terms in SideNav help

Post by doc_guy »

I believe index entries will still affect search results, even if there isn't an index in the output. They certainly do for top-nav, and side nav is just a re-branded top-nav. It uses the same underlying technology. So put your alternate terms in as index entries in the topic, and it should give you what you want.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

You can use synonyms to set up alternative terms for a single word, e.g. "add=create" - however, it doesn't work for phrases (multiple words).

https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... esults.htm

For phrases, I enter index keywords (as suggested by docguy).
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Including index keywords most definitely will help with your SEO. I routinely add alternative keywords such as "create x" and "add x" or "remove x" and "delete x".

Flare's help has a topic on how to optimize one's content for SEO: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... ontent.htm
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
blindamood
Propeller Head

Post by blindamood »

doc_guy wrote:I believe index entries will still affect search results, even if there isn't an index in the output. They certainly do for top-nav, and side nav is just a re-branded top-nav. It uses the same underlying technology. So put your alternate terms in as index entries in the topic, and it should give you what you want.
Appreciate the quick responses, guys. I will definitely give this a shot and report back with the results. Have a great weekend!
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Also, if you are using Flare 2019's micro content feature, you can create multiple phrases that will return the same micro content file. So that is another thought.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog