Drawing shapes with something other than a solid line

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
spordelia
Propeller Head

Drawing shapes with something other than a solid line

Post by spordelia »

Am I missing something, or is there really no way to make a shape (rectangle, polygon, or circle) with a dotted or dashed line for the border? It draws the shape with a solid line, and there doesn't appear to be any property setting to change it to a dashed or dotted line.

So far I've been able to work around this by making a dashed line and forming it into a rectangle shape, but this has not been the easiest workaround, since it's hard to get the four corners to align perfectly into a rectangle. The sides of my rectangles always seem to end up at least slightly slanted.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Drawing shapes with something other than a solid line

Post by Nita Beck »

Hate to say it, but I don't know of a way to achieve what you're after in Capture, at least not as one would like, by having choices for the type of border. Agree that Capture assumes a solid line.

Might you create the rectangle elsewhere (e.g., PowerPoint?) and insert it into Capture as an image overlaid over Capture's image? Of course, you probably couldn't resize it in Capture, at least not with a desirable effect.

To my way of thinking, Capture isn't a drawing program...
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
spordelia
Propeller Head

Re: Drawing shapes with something other than a solid line

Post by spordelia »

Thanks for your answer! I thought for sure I was going crazy and just missing it somewhere, since it seems like such basic functionality not to have. I'm able to turn the border line around the entire image into a dotted/dashed line (if I were so inclined)... and I'm able to change the width and color and even the radius of the border line when I add a rectangle... so I wouldn't think that the ability to also change it to a dotted/dashed line would be too much.

Oh, well.

Single-sourcing my screenshots by adding conditional callouts is pretty much my primary use for Capture. I save each screen as a single image file in Flare, and then I use Capture add different callouts with different conditions based on whether the image is appearing in a configuration guide or a user guide. So I actually think that being able to add a basic callout shape quickly and easily is pretty important to support this otherwise awesome feature of applying Flare conditions within Capture images. I'm not looking to draw anything super complex.