MiniTOC Proxy Examples

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
Arpita_17
Propeller Head

MiniTOC Proxy Examples

Post by Arpita_17 »

Hi All,

I was able to add the Mini TOC to master page. However, to be able to configure the stylesheet to look the way I want it to is damn hard. Its long and tedious process where with every change, I need to compile the project and see in the output the change and if it is not right, I am back to where I begun in the first place. Are there any examples of the MiniTOC proxy...something where I can tweak rather than redefine the whole thing.
PS I am not ranting, just tired of not being able to achieve the needed. :(
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: MiniTOC Proxy Examples

Post by doc_guy »

Providing an example is hard because everybody style requirements are so different.

However, one thing I've found is that if I create a test TOC with only a few nested topics, and I create a new test target, I can build my test target much faster. It makes "round-tripping" ---between tweaking the styles and building the output and viewing the output and then going back to tweaking the styles--- go much faster.

Another option, though this might not show the depth you need, is if you preview your topic with a mini-toc as a PDF target, it will generate a two-level mini-TOC where you can see what the formatting will look like. Like I said, this probably isn't robust enough for the level of detail you need, but I wanted to call it out as an option in case you weren't aware of it. If you don't want to use the drop-down to select the PDF target, you can always right-click on the PDF target in the Project Organizer and make that your primary target. Then anytime you preview a topic, it will default to previewing it as a PDF file.

HTH
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Arpita_17
Propeller Head

Post by Arpita_17 »

Thanks for your reply.

I wasn't able to explore much since the deadlines with content lately.

However, I am after something very specific. Please refer to the attached screen shot. I am after displaying the headings in a navigation pane such as shown in the image attached.
example_headings.png
Is this possible?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Have you looked at relationship tables? They might be a possible alternative for you.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I don’t think relationship tables will help, considering that the OP is looking to create a menu of headings in the current topic.

I think you need to be looking at menu proxies (which are used to create a menu of headings within the current topic), not miniTOC proxies (which are intended to create links to topics that are children on the current topic, per the TOC). Perhaps this material will help: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... c-Menu.htm.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Arpita_17
Propeller Head

Post by Arpita_17 »

Wow...that worked...Inserted a Menu Proxy in the master page and set it to display all the headings. :D
Just another one...is there a way the frames can be edited in master page...I just drag and drop but haven't changed the layout much from original. Now this menu proxy I want to display with the content towards right but wrapped...so the content does not overlap.

This may be a very basic question...I am still learning :oops: