Are you using Google Search or Elasticsearch for your site?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
flareuser1
Propeller Head

Are you using Google Search or Elasticsearch for your site?

Post by flareuser1 »

We're looking to switch from MadCap Search to either Google Search or Elasticsearch. I'm wondering if anyone has had success using either of these search options and how your experience has been.

If you're using Google Search, were you able to disable the ads?

Thanks!
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Are you using Google Search or Elasticsearch for your si

Post by wclass »

We have just started to investigate ElasticSearch.
I will post when I have more details.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
rogersm
Propeller Head

Post by rogersm »

Have started to investigate Elasticsearch also. The setup took a while, but now evaluating its advantages and disadvantages as compared to the default Madcap search. I like the autocomplete feature of Elasticsearch, even though it can be slightly slow to react as you type in a search term and it would be nice if autocomplete worked for content other than headings. The fuzzy matching feature, I am a bit on the fence about because it gives unusual results sometimes.
A concern around Elasticsearch for us is that it does not work by default on Microsoft Edge, but Microsoft are rewriting Edge now anyway so hopefully it is not going to be an issue in a few months.
Unfortuantely, google search is not an option we can choose :(
flareuser1
Propeller Head

Post by flareuser1 »

Thank you for the replies! Very interested to hear how Elasticsearch goes for you @wclass.

@rogersm, autocomplete will be very helpful for us if it works. I'll have to look into the fuzzy matching.