Adobe Framemaker required to build output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Vibeke B
Propeller Head

Adobe Framemaker required to build output

Post by Vibeke B »

Hi!
I am trying to make a new output to Framemaker (I'll skip the long and boring explanation of why) and made a new target. Then I got the message that Framemaker is required. Then I installed a trial version of Framemaker to see if it works, but I get the same message. I have restarted my computer, but still the same. I will not be using Framemaker myself, but I am willing to purchase it if this works. But I wanted to test if it worked before purchasing. Any suggestions for a workaround?

Looking forward to hearing your great ideas and suggestions!
Vibeke B
Propeller Head

Re: Adobe Framemaker required to build output

Post by Vibeke B »

Perhaps I should add that I have tried the suggestion from Flare's help to run Flare as administrator, still no effect.
Update: I have now a licensed version, and I can still not generate a Framemaker file. Does this work for anyone else? :cry:
Vibeke B
Propeller Head

Post by Vibeke B »

I have found the solution. I asked for support from MadCap and they answered that Flare 2018 does not support FrameMaker 2019. In order to build a FrameMaker target, I need to use an older version. This would have been nice to know before investing in the wrong license and spending time installing the wrong version. Also, they did not tell me how old Framemaker had to be. :!: But I installed a trial version of Framemaker 2015 and this works, as long as I use Flare as administrator.

So now it works. I just wanted to let others know what the solution is in case they run into the same problem. :)
autocart
Propeller Head

Post by autocart »

Also nice to know:
At least according to the Flare 2019 online help, the FrameMaker target is not available anymore in Flare 2019. In the Flare 2018 online help it still was mentioned, but not in 2019.
Couldn't try it anymore in the 2019 test version because it ran out of time.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

I didn't realize this was true, but I checked in 2019, and you're right. Framemaker is not listed as an output type when you create a new target in Flare 2019:

Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Isleofgough
Propeller Head

Post by Isleofgough »

This is a shame! There are times that I need to work in Structured Framemaker, and the inability to import or export Framemaker documents is frustrating.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

I mean, they didn't even move it to the deprecated list. They just all-out removed it. Wonder why.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Isleofgough
Propeller Head

Post by Isleofgough »

After all the Madcap advertising over the years about why Flare is better than Framemaker, there probably aren't enough Framemaker users that use Flare to warrant the cost of programmer's time. There are enough bugs to fix, that it isn't likely a priority.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

Actually it was in a Deprecated list - for 2018r2
https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... -Flare.htm

However, that's not much good to people - if you don't know that something is missing, you won't know which release to go back and find the item in.

The list really needs to be separate from What's new and have a list of all deprecated items and the version they were removed.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
Isleofgough
Propeller Head

Post by Isleofgough »

doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Isleofgough - You're absolutely right. There are a bunch of targets listed on that page that you can no longer produce from Flare (.NET Help, for example). I have sent an email to a contact at MadCap pointing out those errors on the web page, and suggesting that they update the list.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Vibeke B
Propeller Head

Post by Vibeke B »

Oh crap. I just found out that I cannot export to Framemaker anymore. If I had noticed this in the deprecated list you are mentioning above, we would not have updated to 2019. :shock: Any ideas or suggestions to what I can do? I do not use Framemaker myself, but I need to export to it so one of our white labels customers can take our manuals and work with them in their system. I am pretty annoyed that MadCap have taken away this option. :cry: I don't think it will force our customer to move to Flare, but it may force us to move away from Flare, which is probably not what MadCap wanted.
BrianAtInTouchHealth
Propeller Head

Post by BrianAtInTouchHealth »

Vibeke B wrote:Any ideas or suggestions to what I can do? I do not use Framemaker myself, but I need to export to it so one of our white labels customers can take our manuals and work with them in their system.
We have an OEM partner that uses FrameMaker so I have the same question. I created a DITA target and then opened the output in Frame 12 but all I got was the Flare XML code. (See the screenshot below.)
FrameDita090419.PNG
It looks like my only option now is Flare -> Word -> FrameMaker.

Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flare :flare: + Analyzer :analyzer: 2022, Central, Capture :capture: 7.0, Mimic :mimic: 8.1