Publish a target directly to a GitHiub project?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Publish a target directly to a GitHiub project?

Post by chuck_agari »

So I'm taking an online class at CCSF on XML & JSON, and the intro to the class suggests that I can use GitHub pages for my work, rather than the campus server (which I have always used in the past, typically via ssh and Dreamweaver). So I gave it a shot. On my own GitHub account, I created a new repository for my class, then I created a site for my project repository per the instructions here: https://pages.github.com/, using the Project Site and Start from Scratch options. I cloned it to my MacBook using GitHub Desktop, and then I could work locally and commit and sync the changes all with GotHub Desktop. The result is right here: https://chuck-martin.github.io/cnit131a/

Note that I am _not_ (yet) using Git/Github for my source files. What I'd like to do, though, is set up a similar repo in GitHub (in my company's GitHub home), create a project in the repo for each of my targets, with each of those projects having its own site, and then configure my Flare targets to publish directly to the associated site. Is that possible, and if so, how?

If I cannot publish directly, I'm thinking I'll publish locally to a folder cloned from the project and use GitHub Desktop to commit and sync updates.

Because I'm not a Git guru, and even when I've gone to meetups and seminars where Git is taught the concepts and language still have not stuck well with me, any explanations will have to include baby steps. Wrapping my brain around Git has been harder even than when I tried (and pretty much failed) to understand pointers in my data structures class way, way back when.
EmDashMan
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Publish a target directly to a GitHiub project?

Post by EmDashMan »

Hey Chuck,

Did you get any answers to this?

I'm creating online help for a client, and rather than synchronising my whole Flare project on their git repository, I want to just push an Output folder (the results of building a target) so they can include it in their software build.

Actually, I'm failing at the first hurdle: I can't even get Flare to authenticate with their GitHub repository, but maybe once I've solved that problem...
-------

Martin Ley

Tech writing since, er, is it really that long ago?

------
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Publish a target directly to a GitHiub project?

Post by chuck_agari »

EmDashMan wrote:Hey Chuck,

Did you get any answers to this?

I'm creating online help for a client, and rather than synchronising my whole Flare project on their git repository, I want to just push an Output folder (the results of building a target) so they can include it in their software build.

Actually, I'm failing at the first hurdle: I can't even get Flare to authenticate with their GitHub repository, but maybe once I've solved that problem...
No, I didn't.

Having multiple experiences over the years with Flare issues when it is bound to source control, I no longer do that. I have a repo for my source files and a different repo for my online help output. I use GitHub Desktop to push updates to the repos.

I will say that I use the Publish folder, not the Output folder for the output repo. That's because I'm doing frequent builds, often for reviews, and when I'm satisfied, I can do one update to the Publish folder and have the devs use that. At least, if we every actually implement online help. Both the Output and the Publish folders are outside of my local source files folder.

Let me be clear: I do NOT recommend binding Flare to a source control repo.