paragraph frame doesn't recognise sidebar

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
JimR
Jr. Propeller Head

paragraph frame doesn't recognise sidebar

Post by JimR »

Hi,
I have a paragraph style that includes a frame around the paragraph, and my topics are set up to have a sidebar menu at the top of each topic.
When I use the framed paragraph style for body text at the start of a topic (where the sidebar is) the text itself wraps as it should so that it doesn't overlap the sidebar, but the frame extends for the full width of the page, underneath the sidebar.

I've tried different width settings for Box, Cell and Positioning for the paragraph style in question, but none of them seem to make the frame recognise the sidebar.

Any help much appreciated,

Cheers
Jim
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: paragraph frame doesn't recognise sidebar

Post by ajturnersurrey »

Does viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29705 help? 'Overflow: auto;' ?
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

I have this trouble as well. I've never found a solution for it. The problem is that the background of the block extends all the way to the container. It is just the text that wraps, not the whole block that wraps. So you get this:

You can clearly see this when you use your browser's inspector tools to look at the paragraph or div:

I would welcome a solution if somebody knows of one, but I can't figure out what it would be. And I have spent some time thinking about it and researching it.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

I've successfully used overflow: auto to get paragraphs and divs with a background colour to wrap beside the menu.

Paul for your example, try setting overflow:auto on the div.Note style and see if that helps.
JimR
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by JimR »

Thank you ajturnersurrey & Psider. Yes, overflow: auto did the trick.

I'm not very familiar with Flare so part of the problem was simply selecting to show All properties when I was looking at the style sheet...I hadn't seen overflow before.
It works for a paragraph style as well as for a div.

NEXT PROBLEM. Now there's a horizontal scroll bar in the sidebar! :( I'll have a crack at that (unless you know the solution to that as well ?)