How to Format TOC for PDF Output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
TechWriter85
Propeller Head

How to Format TOC for PDF Output

Post by TechWriter85 »

Hi, all.

I've successfully generated a TOC that is correctly positioned in my PDF output. However, while the rest of my PDF output uses the Calibri font, style, point size, color, and so on that I have specified, the TOC output is in Times New Roman, which I assume is the default font.

I've been reading the "FlareTableOfContentsGuide.PDF" and page 152 starts to look pretty useful. I've checked my .css, and the mc-heading-level property has been set to levels 1, 2, and 3 as appropriate. Yet I don't see that formatting in the PDF output. What am I missing?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: How to Format TOC for PDF Output

Post by Nita Beck »

(I'm going on memory.) I'm pretty sure the styles you need to work with are p.TOC1, p.TOC2, and so forth, in whatever medium you use for your PDF output. These are used with the generated table of contents in print output.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
TechWriter85
Propeller Head

Post by TechWriter85 »

Hi, Nita. Thanks for your reply. I've been out most of the week or would have gotten back sooner.

I don't see where to apply the styles. My TOC file is an. htm file containing the proxy, which of course is a single line of text.

I don't see a TOC output until I view the PDF, in which the TOC is not formatted. Where do I apply the styles within Flare?

--Nancy
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

No need to apologize about being away. I pop in here only when I can as I'm just a volunteer.

Sorry that I wasn't clear about where. You need to edit your stylesheet. Specifically, edit the p.TOC1, p.TOC2, etc. styles so that they use the font you want, are the size you want, etc.

You don't then have to actively apply those styles to anything anywhere. Flare will apply them automatically to the listings it puts in the generated table of contents in your PDF output.

Something to bear in mind: If your PDF target uses the "TOC depth" feature, by which Flare will adjust headings in output based on their levels in the TOC, a topic's actual heading level might be adjusted in the output. For example, say you have a topic whose heading is an h1 and that that topic appears in your TOC three levels down. In that case, Flare will change that topic's heading from an h1 to an h3 in the PDF. Just keep this in mind as you tweak your styling of p.TOC1, p.TOC2, etc. (p.TOC1 will be for listings to h1 headings, p.TOC2 will be for listings to h2 headings, etc.)
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
TechWriter85
Propeller Head

Post by TechWriter85 »

Thanks, Nita. That was it!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Glad to know you got it resolved! :)
Nita