Looking for Lessons Learned for WebHelp to HTML5 Transition

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Mishou6779
Propeller Head

Looking for Lessons Learned for WebHelp to HTML5 Transition

Post by Mishou6779 »

Hi all!

I am a lone writer with a large help project and I have started the process for transitioning from WebHelp to HTML5 help. VERY excited for the new and improved output, but nervous about whatever hiccups lay ahead. When I say that I have started the process, what I really mean is that I have had my manager procure me a server. It's here, so now I have to do my part! :shock:

I use SVN for source control for my working files, but don't think that will make a difference for the working files. I'm assuming that I can just use a publishing destination in Flare to publish straight to the new server.

If any of you have made this transition and you have a list of "gosh I wish I had known..." or a list of things you learned along the way, or a list of favorite things, or best practices, I would be very glad to listen to anything and everything you all have to say!

Thank you!
Michelle
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Looking for Lessons Learned for WebHelp to HTML5 Transit

Post by Nita Beck »

There is a lot more involved in migrating from an older type of online output to a Top Nav or Side Nav output than just setting up and publishing to a new server.

The closest things I can find that might be relevant to what’s ahead for you are these tutorials. They describe converting from Tripane (a type of HTML5 output) to Top Nav or Side Nav output. I think you can adapt some of the guidance to what you’d need to do to migrate from old WebHelp.

https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... torial.htm

https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... torial.htm

I hope these point you in the right direction.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Mishou6779
Propeller Head

Re: Looking for Lessons Learned for WebHelp to HTML5 Transit

Post by Mishou6779 »

Hi Nita,

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it! :)

Sincerely,
Michelle