Linking a child Project to a HTML5 Top Navigation Project

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Linju
Jr. Propeller Head

Linking a child Project to a HTML5 Top Navigation Project

Post by Linju »

Hi,
I am working on a Project that uses HTML5 top navigation. As per user requirement, I am asked to create a separate document that includes all the terms in the glossary, so that user can simply go to this file and search for the glossary terms instead of searching in the whole project (it should serve the purpose of dictionary).
For this I have to create a child project called Glossary and need to call this project in the Parent project's TOC (so that user when in online output page, click this link from the TOC and automatically navigate to Glossary project).
I Tried doing this by using the option "LINK AN ENTRY OR BOOK TO ANOTHER FLARE PROJECT AND TARGET" in the TOC, but output is not displaying this child project link in the Parent TOC.

Is there any other way to do it?
My management does not like filter option for search, so have that door closed.

Can anyone guide me to make this happen.
chrisj
Propeller Head

Re: Linking a child Project to a HTML5 Top Navigation Projec

Post by chrisj »

I think the option you are using is not applicable to Top Navigation outputs, which is why you are not getting the desired result. Linking to another project is going to mean that you need to build that whole project and publish it to its own location, and then set the TOC element to go directly to that URL. In any case, unless you are planning to load each term into its own topic, I'm not sure how having a glossary search like this would do much for you. In the same way, setting up a filter also wouldn't do much for you.

Not fully knowing your requirements, your approach seems like it will create more headaches than it will solve.

Here is what I have done in the past:

- Create a topic with a glossary proxy. This will load all the terms into that page. Then, a person could load into that page and CTRL + F to "search" for the term they need. When someone uses the Flare search, you can make it such that any glossary terms load the definition of the term as the first result.
- An advanced option would be to build your own "search" field on the glossary page. There is some good information here https://www.w3schools.com/howto/howto_j ... _lists.asp
Chris Jones
Product Content Manager - TEAM Software
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Why is the glossary in a separate project?
You could just include the glossary topic in your project.

If you need to share the same glossary in multiple projects, then you could keep the glossary topic in a separate project, and use a project import (global project linking) to import the glossary topic in each project that requires it.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Dave Lee wrote:If you need to share the same glossary in multiple projects, then you could keep the glossary topic in a separate project, and use a project import (global project linking) to import the glossary topic in each project that requires it.
I agree 100%. This is the architecture that I recommend and implement for many of my clients.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!