Newbie question: applying style and theme

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
benzi
Jr. Propeller Head

Newbie question: applying style and theme

Post by benzi »

Hi

I apologize in advance for asking something that should be obvious from the existing documentation. But there's so much of it... :cry:

I recently imported an HTML file set to create a project. The project was originally a Doc2help project that became too unstable to manage.
The import was fairly successful. But when I create a new topic, the styles that appear in the drop-down are really minimal, and I don't see any of the myriad styles that appear in the existing topics.
I tried adding the stylesheets in the Stylesheet Links window; I managed to add some (the ones that appear in the left side of the window), but haven't managed to add the others. And the added topic looks nothing like the existing ones.
Can someone give me some pointers, or tell me where I should be looking in the online help?
Thanks!!
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Newbie question: applying style and theme

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi,

I suggest to
1. add a stylesheet to the project that has all styles necessary in your Flare Project, e.g. modern.css from Factory Templates (see first screenshot, context menus).
2. make this stylesheet project default css (see Project, Project properties, second screenshot).

And read the pdf for styles. i.e.https://docs.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... sGuide.pdf.
Then you should remove all D2H specific styles from your source documents. (Use Analyzer for this, it's a great add-in!)

I wish you good luck with Flare, it's a rather complex tool, if you come from DocToHelp!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)
benzi
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by benzi »

Thanks very much! I know Flare is more complex; I had to dump Doc2help because I needed a more reliable tool.
benzi
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by benzi »

If I remove the d2h styles, what happens to the paragraphs/text to which they were applied?
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi,

if you see undefined styles e.g. p.C1Hbullet or span.D2HNogloss in Analyzer you may delete them. This will remove them from the files that they used them.
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)
benzi
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by benzi »

Thanks! While I browse the 1000-page PDF :-) :
When I try to apply styles to a table, why do I see (in the list) only a few basic styles, but not all the styles that are used in the document? When I apply styles to a line of text, I can choose from the whole long list. But not when I try to apply to a table.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

benzi wrote:When I try to apply styles to a table, why do I see (in the list) only a few basic styles, but not all the styles that are used in the document? When I apply styles to a line of text, I can choose from the whole long list. But not when I try to apply to a table.
That is Flare’s as-programmed behavior. To quote Flare’s documentation, “Another possible reason (that the style you are looking for is not available from the drop-down list or Styles window pane) has to do with the location of the cursor in the topic. Flare realizes where the cursor is placed and knows that only certain styles should be applied at that location. For more info, see https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... ontent.htm

Re tables in particular, by default, Flare does not add paragraph blocks into table cells. (You can change this default behavior, BTW). But you can add paragraph blocks individually cell by cell, and then you’ll be able to select paragraph styles, add lists, and the like. You can also select styles of cell contents in the whole table, or in selected rows or columns, in one operation. For a full discussion on the various techniques, see https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... ntents.htm.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!