CSS Missing Linked Stylesheet File

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
TheBostonMarina
Jr. Propeller Head

CSS Missing Linked Stylesheet File

Post by TheBostonMarina »

Hello all,

I've been trying to figure out what the issue is for a while and I've looked through this entire forum, but I haven't found an answer that fit the problem.

I keep getting the warning:

CSS: Missing linked stylesheet file:///C:/Resources/TableStyles/MWeb.css

The file is there. I can open it, and as far as I can tell, none of the tables have broken anywhere.

I saw in one of the answers that someone said to try to re-import the style, which I did, but it only changed the warning url to that folder.

Please help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marina
MadCap Wayne
MadCap Staff

Re: CSS Missing Linked Stylesheet File

Post by MadCap Wayne »

Hi Marina,

To clarify, your project and stylesheet are working as intended, correct? You're just concerned about the warning?

This workaround may help - go to your Project Ribbon > Project Properties > Defaults and uncheck "Allow local stylesheets" (if it is currently checked) and see if that clears the warning message.

I believe this warning occurs when local stylesheets are removed from a given topic and the above option is still enabled.

It may be helpful for us to look into your specific project and see if we can diagnose the problem that way. I will be reaching out to you via email shortly.
Wayne Lester • Technical Support Analyst
MadCap Software, Inc.
TheBostonMarina
Jr. Propeller Head

Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, everything is working fine as far as I aware. I kept running into the issue where instead of replacing table styles, it would just put another style on top of it, so it doubled up the links which caused a host of issues, which I think evolved into this. I was able to solve all other issues except for this one, and yes, I'm just concerned things are going to start breaking.

I don't think I have that checkbox in my version of MadCap, which is V 11. I only have three drop-down menus. Would changing menu selections help, do you think?

Thank you for your help.

(I haven't received an email, so I'm replying here)

Edit//3:03 PM: MadCap Support has replied to my inquiry and asked for my project file so they could troubleshoot it, so hopefully they'll be able to help. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marina
TheBostonMarina
Jr. Propeller Head

I inadvertently solved the issue without trying to this morning while waiting for a reply from the MadCap support team.

I should mention that I work with V 11 and while I have been using MadCap for awhile now, I stick to what I know out of fear of breaking everything, so there's features that I haven't used before - that I will from now on, like Project Analysis.

I generally rely on the the Build Log to let me know if there are any outstanding issues with the project. But this morning, I saw the Project Analysis button in the View ribbon, and I decided to see what it does and selected to view Broken Links. I was a little surprised to see a list of at least 30 items of various issues from missing images, table style issues, and references not pointing where they are supposed to. In my defense, I should mention that the project that I work with is absolutely massive (easily several thousand pages) and I'm the only tech writer. So if there's an issue with one page, especially one that I don't frequent, I won't know about it unless a user tells me or it comes up in the Build Log Warnings.

I went through the list of everything that the Project Analysis told me was wrong and when I created a new build the issues listed in the Build Log Warnings went away. I am guessing that because there were so many broken links, the Build Log just summarized them by telling me there was an issue with my table styles, without pointing me to where.

On some pages the links where completely broken - meaning that the table style didn't appear in the XML view at all, while on some the table looked fine, but in the code the table style link was doubled. On a couple pages, I noticed the table style link randomly hanging out at the top of the page, I'm not sure why or how, but I just deleted it and nothing bad happened.

So if you're seeing a similar issue:

1. Go to View > Project Analysis
2. Select Broken Links, the system will compile a list of issues if there are any.
3. Fix any broken links that the system brings up. (Specifically look if there are any double links, or random styles attached to nothing in the code)
4. Save everything.
5. Build the target again to see if the issue is resolved.
Marina