Saving and linking PDF

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
kelly2835
Propeller Head

Saving and linking PDF

Post by kelly2835 »

Hi,

I am trying to link a PDF to a topic.

After I generated a PDF from a topic, I tried to save it within a folder in my project and it failed. Then, I used the default to save in the Output folder and now I can't find the link to attach the PDF.

TIA!
EricS
Propeller Head

Re: Saving and linking PDF

Post by EricS »

Kelly,

I think (and may be corrected on this) that after you generate the pdf and save it (where you can find it), you need to copy it to your content folder in flare. Then in your topic, click "insert a hyperlink" and select "File in Project" - (make sure "All files" is selected). Then you should be able to create a link to the pdf.

Hope this make sense. :) I've done it successfully this way in the past.

Eric
Eric S.
kelly2835
Propeller Head

Post by kelly2835 »

Hi Eric,

Thank you again! Yes this finally worked.

How come we can't save it directly into the content folder? Trying to limit the number of steps since I have a few of these PDF to create and link. Also trying to be organize and keeping all the PDF in one spot.

Thank you!
EricS
Propeller Head

Post by EricS »

Interesting question, Kelly.

I just tried to do that to see what would happen and got this error: "Build Failed: Compliler: Output folder is inside project folder."

My guess is that because the compiler is pulling files from the content folder for the build trying to automatically save the build there is causing a confilict.

Anyone else with thoughts on this?

Eric
Eric S.
Curlyshell
Propeller Head

Post by Curlyshell »

I created a folder inside Resources called "Docs"—name as you please.

To save steps, when the PDF opens after building, "Save As" to your version of "Docs." Otherwise the PDF lives in your Output folder, in the subfolder for that target, which is separate from the subfolder for the main target. And that's not where you want it, because you're going to publish or upload your subfolder for the main target, which is supposed to contain all your content.
"I'm a technical writer, not a developer," she said...