MadCap DropDowns Print Gray Bottom Border Despite Stylesheet

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Curlyshell
Propeller Head

MadCap DropDowns Print Gray Bottom Border Despite Stylesheet

Post by Curlyshell »

I'm using MadCap DropDowns in my online help. In the PDF version, there's a gray, 1-pixel bottom-border after each drop-down section. Meaning you see the header, the body, and then a gray horizontal line before the next section begins.

How do I get rid of the horizontal line? I understand how to open the "print" medium in the style sheet.

I have tried:
  • Deleting the bottom-border style from both media
  • Changing the bottom-border to 0px #ffffff in both media
  • Changing the bottom-border to 1px yellow in both media
All these strategies work just fine on the HTML5 target but not at all in the PDF target. Right now, in fact, I'm looking at a yellow rule at the bottom of each online drop-down section and a gray rule at the bottom of each print drop-down section.

The gray rule makes no sense here. As far as the reader is concerned, this is just a plain old header with some content.
"I'm a technical writer, not a developer," she said...
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: MadCap DropDowns Print Gray Bottom Border Despite Styles

Post by ajturnersurrey »

I have managed to do this on a recent project of mine, so I've just been looking at how I did it.

You don't say which of the dropDown styles you are changing, so perhaps that is the key.
My MadCap|dropDownBody style has border-bottom: none; in the print medium, where the other mediums have border-bottom:solid 1px #1e8cbf;

As I recall some of the MadCap examples use a class="Final" selector on top of that, in which case that would also need border-bottom: none;

Having done that I then added a few selectors to MadCap|dropDownBody style to reintroduce a faint line in some special circumstances in my pdf.
Curlyshell
Propeller Head

Post by Curlyshell »

Thanks, @ajturnersurrey, for your response! It hasn't helped so far, but let me be clearer in explaining what I have.

1: Here's a sample of the code. You'll see there are no classes:

Code: Select all

<MadCap:dropDown>
            <MadCap:dropDownHead>
                <MadCap:dropDownHotspot>Current Open Windows</MadCap:dropDownHotspot>
            </MadCap:dropDownHead>
            <MadCap:dropDownBody>
                <p>Names of open windows appear below the menu. Click a window to bring it forward.</p>
            </MadCap:dropDownBody>
        </MadCap:dropDown>
2: The yellow border that still shows up in the HTML target is from the MadCap|dropDown style. It is set as "none" for the print target.

3: I checked the other 3 MadCap dropDown styles, especially dropDownBody. If there were no borders specified, I added border-bottom: none.

4: I opened the stylesheet in Notepad++ and found no instance of a border setting I couldn't otherwise account for.

Where is it hiding????
Vibeke B
Propeller Head

Post by Vibeke B »

I have the same problem - my line is blue, but the same problem. No matter what I adjust, it is still there. Any ideas anyone?
Curlyshell
Propeller Head

Post by Curlyshell »

O the embarrassment!

I discovered that my topics were connected to the wrong style sheet. A global search-and-replace inserted the style sheet I've been adjusting, in place of the former master style sheet that I copied last month in case these changes went bad. Even though I set the new styles.css as the master style sheet, I didn't realize that renaming the old style sheet within Flare caused the style sheet to be renamed in all my topics.

The weird thing is that the yellow border I set just to see if it affected the PDF was part of the new style sheet, and still it showed up in the HTML5 target.

Vibeke B, all I can tell you is to set all your bottom-borders in all your dropDown styles to "none." I hope it helps.