Simple import of a topic from one project to another

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
cmoore66
Propeller Head

Simple import of a topic from one project to another

Post by cmoore66 »

Hi All,

Is there a simple way to import a topic from one project to another without globally linking it? I really just want to preserve the verbiage and the .jpg images. This would be a one-time pass from one project to another.

Project A and Project B both share the same page layout and stylesheet. So I'd hope these resources would take care of styles and layout in Project B. And I don't care about links - I need to remap them anyhow. I don't need and don't want to have the original project automatically update edited content (both projects belong to separate software version documentation that often diverge in content). So I don't want any dependencies. I just want a one-time transfer of text and images so I don't have to manually remap the images one by one. Just a clean and simple copy over.

Many thanks.
EricS
Propeller Head

Re: Simple import of a topic from one project to another

Post by EricS »

It shouldn't be to difficult to do.

1. In the imports file of your project, create a new Flare Project import.
2. In the Source Project, navigate to, and select the project that has the topic you want to import.
3. Make sure to uncheck the "Auto Reimport before 'Generate Output'" box
4. In the "Include Files" field, select Topic files and Image files (if that is all you are looking for)
5. Click "Import" the top of the import window.
6. In the "Accept Imported Documents" popup that appears, mark the check box of the topic(s)/image(s) that you want to import.

The files should then be imported to your project to use as needed.

Hope that helps.

Eric
Eric S.
cmoore66
Propeller Head

Post by cmoore66 »

Eric, thanks for the response. Even though I unchecked the Auto Reimport before 'Generate Output' checkbox, the newly imported topic (into Project B) has a link symbol beside it. That makes me nervous. I was hoping for a one-time, no-strings-attached relationship between my original and copied/imported topic. But my results look more like a shotgun wedding. I'll have to play around with things some more. Or, just go back to my original method of manually copying and pasting the topic and remapping the images using the Save To feature in Capture. Time intensive, but I have no commitments to the original project once the fun is done.
In any case, I appreciate your help and good information.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

cmoore66 wrote:Even though I unchecked the Auto Reimport before 'Generate Output' checkbox, the newly imported topic (into Project B) has a link symbol beside it. That makes me nervous. I was hoping for a one-time, no-strings-attached relationship between my original and copied/imported topic...
Just delete the import file altogether. That will remove the association back to the project you imported from. The imported topic and its related images are now local to Project B and you can edit them at will.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Nita Beck wrote:
cmoore66 wrote:Even though I unchecked the Auto Reimport before 'Generate Output' checkbox, the newly imported topic (into Project B) has a link symbol beside it. That makes me nervous. I was hoping for a one-time, no-strings-attached relationship between my original and copied/imported topic...
Just delete the import file altogether. That will remove the association back to the project you imported from. The imported topic and its related images are now local to Project B and you can edit them at will.
If you look at the topic in the text editor, at the top there's text that says where the file came from, for example "MadCap:sourceDocument="C:\Projects\LIBRARIES\DocName.docx" ". I can't remember if that bit is automatically deleted when you delete the import file as Nita suggests, but if you delete that bit from the topic it definitely won't be linked any more.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx