Conditional on an alias?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Jess77
Sr. Propeller Head

Conditional on an alias?

Post by Jess77 »

I think I know the answer to this based on the tests I have run, but I want to double-check in case there is something I am missing.

Can you put a conditional tag on an alias?

The goal here is to have one alias used for multiple topics in multiple versions.

Let's take alias "RelNotes"

Version 1 = RelNotes1.htm
Version 2 = RelNotes2.htm

With the same alias. It seems like there should be a way to do this.

The developers here wants a static link that doesn't need to be updated for each version. In theory, this could work because each release is in a different folder. In the code, those folders are controlled by variables for the version, so they don't have to program it.

When I switch the one alias from Version 1 to Version 2, the link doesn't work because the file itself has a conditional on it.

Would a separate alias file work? Multiple alias files seem to run off the same Identifiers.h file and it all seems to get jumbled together anyway. I feel like there is something I'm missing. :?
Jessica N.
Certified MadCap Advanced Developer for Flare
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Conditional on an alias?

Post by devjoe »

You can have multiple alias files for different targets. Each target can only use one alias file and there is an option in the Advanced tab of the target to specify which one.
Jess77
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Jess77 »

Thank you! I saw that and played around with that a bit. There is just one alias that needs a conditional in a project with 1000 of aliases that need to remain consistent across six versions, so I was hoping not to resort to multiple alias files. I may have to manage this one alias version by version.That is annoying but not excessively so.
Jessica N.
Certified MadCap Advanced Developer for Flare
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Perhaps you could approach this from a different direction.

Rather than have two alias files and two release note topics, just have a single alias file and topic and use conditions on your content.

So in your alias file, "RelNotes" is linked to RelNotes.htm.

In RelNotes.htm, put conditions on the content itself; e.g. mark sections with Conditions.Version1 and Conditions.Version2.

In your target for each version, set the conditions; e.g. set Target1 to exclude Conditions.Version2, etc.