Heading Variable for Printed Output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
shoria
Propeller Head

Heading Variable for Printed Output

Post by shoria »

With my printed output, I have:
Page 1 - Title Page - actual flare front page which has a company logo in the header and the body uses a topic called "print title page" with [IDEALLY a title,] company info, copyright info, and the date the item was last updated
Page 2 - ??? - a series of topics - starts with an H1 parent topic, with select h2-3 topics underneath

The actual title should be the H1 which appears on page 2, so I can't use the variable H1 because it searches page 1 for the header, and it doesn't exist on that page. Basically, I need some sort of workaround/variable which would pull the first H1 in the set of topics (or the only H1 because in the PDF output there is only one and it appears on the second page). Alternatively, I could also use the name of the TOC as the PDF title, but I'm not sure how to do that.
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Heading Variable for Printed Output

Post by robdocsmith »

Not sure I understand what you're trying to achieve. It sounds like you want the H1 on the second page to be the same as the Title. Can you make a variable and insert the variable on both the cover in a Title style and on page 2 in the H1 style? Then updating the variable will cause both Title and first heading to updated. If you want to add the variable to the TOC entry for the second topic, you can add it using the syntax [%=VariableSet.VariableName%] for the text part of the TOC entry.

Does that help?

Rob
shoria
Propeller Head

Post by shoria »

I would need to create a variable for dozens of PDFs which honestly would take as much time as physically putting the title into a title page topic for each PDF.
In the TOC, the order of topics is as follows:
-Title Page
-Page with the H1 (the broad topic being covered)
-Several pages following with more info

I want the H1 on the second topic to pull into the first topic, so somehow Flare would need to see in the TOC that it should be pulling the first H1 within that set of topics, as opposed to the first H1 on the single topic where the variable is inserted. Alternatively, each TOC is titled with what should be the title of the PDF, so if there's a way to create a variable that says "insert TOC title here" that would work.
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

Could you work it by inserting your H1 on the Title page as the title of the document, then include a header frame on the page layout that includes the H1 as a heading?
For example, I have my chapters set up so they are introduced by a Title page (with title page layout). This has the H1 on it, and a mini-toc for what's in the chapter. Then each page of the chapter includes in a header bar containing the H1 in a frame that looks like:

Code: Select all

<Frame Flow="header" Height="16mm" TextAlign="left" VerticalAlign="center" Width="277mm">
      <Content>
          <xhtml:html xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
              <xhtml:head>
              </xhtml:head>
              <xhtml:body>
                  <xhtml:h1 xhtml:class="headerleft"><MadCap:variable xhtml:name="Heading.Level1" /></xhtml:h1>
              </xhtml:body>
          </xhtml:html>
      </Content>
 </Frame>