Custom Medium not working?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
FeeMaher
Propeller Head

Custom Medium not working?

Post by FeeMaher »

Hi all,

I am totally at a loss with my issue. I created a custom medium within an existing stylesheet to deal with white label branding (mostly changes in fonts - colours/sizing/type etc). I only have print targets (Word) that have similar content with different branding. However, when I view the custom medium within Flare, I am getting times new roman font (which I don't have set anywhere), different margin spacing, out of line bullets etc. The same occurs when I build and view the target. Within Flare I can change the views between the two mediums - one displays perfectly and the custom one is a mess.

When I created the custom medium, I opened the custom medium and the print medium side by side, put the styles in alphabetical order, then went through and made sure all styles on both mediums were exactly the same - with the exception of the brand differences in font. I have no idea where the custom medium settings are coming from.

I have two separate Word targets - both using the same style sheet with the print medium selected on one target (behaving), and the custom medium set on the other target (not behaving!).

The only thing I can think of is when I created the custom medium - it didn't ask me what sort of medium I wanted - so maybe the custom medium not for print?

Any troubleshooting tips people can give me would be great.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Custom Medium not working?

Post by NorthEast »

If there's a lot of things not working in your stylesheet, I'd check that you haven't made a mistake in your CSS; like a missing brace }.
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

Sounds like syles aren't being found and default fonts are being used.
Troubleshooting CSS can be tricky. I'd start with the basic things:
Duplicate your working stylesheet and enclose all its contents in the new medium to check it's the stylesheet causing the issue not the document/target/build.
Use a prettify code function in a text editor might be a quick way to find if there are missing braces (indents won't work as expected when prettified). Otherwise check all css definitions to make sure that all closing braces are in the stylesheet.

Rob
FeeMaher
Propeller Head

Post by FeeMaher »

I didn't create the css manually - I did it all via the Flare interface. Interestingly, I accessed the css via notebook and the settings were all definitely there on both mediums. One medium was working - the other wasn't. I went back into Flare and changed the settings in the custom medium - checked the view - it updated. Changed the settings back to what they were originally, and it worked. There is definitely a bug. I am having trouble with the page layout as well - working on the first target, but not the second (the second target is the one having problems with the medium). I'm going to delete the second target and create it again.