Putting Variable in Breadcrumb Prefix

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
Joseph Zitt
Propeller Head

Putting Variable in Breadcrumb Prefix

Post by Joseph Zitt »

I would like to put the name of the manual in the breadcrumb prefix so that it would read, for example:

You are here in the Firewall manual:
or
You are here in the Audit manual:

Elsewhere, I use a variable, ProductName, for this, but don't see how to include it within the breadcrumb prefix. Can it be done, either via the built-in Stylesheet editor, or by getting directly at the CSS in an external editor?
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Putting Variable in Breadcrumb Prefix

Post by Chicago_HPT »

I don't know if you can insert a variable into the value within the MadCap Stylesheet Editor, but you can certainly add a prefix before the breadcrumb proxy with anything you want by entering it on the master page or topic or wherever you put the proxy.
bgilliland
Propeller Head

Re: Putting Variable in Breadcrumb Prefix

Post by bgilliland »

Came across this as I was working on a similar issue, and wanted to share the solution for using a variable in the breadcrumb prefix.

First, create a new variable for your prefix. (Ex. MyVariables.Breadcrumb_Prefix ) The definition can be blank, or you can have a definition here that would be the default if not explicitly set in the target.

In your template page (previously called a "master page"), you can add/edit the variable by using the text editor. The variable should be in the same format used in TOC entries:

Code: Select all

<body>
<MadCap:breadcrumbsProxy style="mc-breadcrumbs-prefix: '[%=MyVariables.Breadcrumb_Prefix%]: '; font-weight: bold;" />
Then in each of your targets, under the "Variables" tab you can override the default definition value for that variable to be whatever you need (Ex. Firewall, Audit, etc.)

Hope that helps!

Beth