Title Page Displayed Twice in PDF Output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Title Page Displayed Twice in PDF Output

Post by techwriter31 »

I'm in the process of setting up my page layouts, and I'm running into a problem with the title page.

I have one page layout set up for the chapters, that contains the following pages: first, left, right, and blank. When the PDF is generated, these pages appear correctly. I have a second page layout set up for the front cover, that contains the following pages: title and blank. For our front covers and back covers, we use a single graphic that covers the entire page (8" x 11"). Within the page layout for the front cover, I added an image frame to the title page that references the front cover graphic (FrontCover.png). I then created a front cover topic (FrontCover.htm) and a corresponding TOC entry that references the topic (FrontCover.htm) and appropriate page layout (FrontCover.flpgl). For the TOC entry's Properties dialog, I have the following settings for the Printed Output:
- Start a new chapter document --> enabled
- Configure chapter using this Page Layout --> references the FrontCover.flpgl
- Page Type --> Title
- Auto-end on 'left' page --> Enabled

But when I generate the PDF, the title page and blank page are displayed twice, for a total of 4 pages: front cover, blank page, front cover, blank page. This is probably user error on my part, but I'm stumped. Any suggestions?
Kellie
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Re: Title Page Displayed Twice in PDF Output

Post by techwriter31 »

Of course, as soon as I post this, I try something that works! When attempting this before, I had an empty page that didn't contain any frames. I just added a body frame to the empty page, regenerated the PDF, and no more duplicate title pages/empty pages. Not sure why a body frame was required on the empty page?

Is there a better method for achieving the same effect? For example, instead of creating an image frame in the page layout that references the front cover graphic (and thus having a different page layout for each different manual that we output), should I instead insert this graphic as a picture in the FrontCover.htm topic? If so, what's the best way to position the graphic so it covers the entire page within the topic? The page layout image frames are nice because I can manually adjust the position. I'd like to be able to do the same with the topic pictures.
Kellie
inwhisper
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by inwhisper »

Maybe this will be helpful to anyone.

In our case, we had a problem with the title page doubling in the following situation:
- The same topic is added to the TOC twice.
- Print - Break Type settings are different for these TOC nodes.
Configuring the same settings for these TOC nodes has fixed the problem.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Welcome, inwhisper.

That's a really old thread you're replying to, but I wanted to say Welcome after your first post.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx