Mini-TOC Behavior

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
TechWriter85
Propeller Head

Mini-TOC Behavior

Post by TechWriter85 »

Hi, all.

I have a .htm file that is formatted like this:

p.H1 -- title of topic
p.H2 -- first level of subtitles
p.H3 -- second level of subtitles

The .htm file is long, and we would like to have an internal TOC at the top of it listing the p.H2 and p.H3 subtitles inside this .htm file and of course providing clickable links to them so you can jump straight to the content you want.

I expected that inserting a miniTOC at the top of the .htm file would produce that result.

Instead, the miniTOC goes outside the .htm file. It looks to the TOC file in the Project Organizer, and provides links to the titles of additional .htm files that are indented under it in the TOC structure.

Is there a way to get a miniTOC to look within a .htm file, or do I have to create an internal TOC manually for this .htm file?
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Mini-TOC Behavior

Post by Chicago_HPT »

I know this is counter-intuitive, but try inserting a Menu Proxy instead of a mini-TOC. When you configure the menu proxy, it will give you the option of building it from a TOC, browse sequence, or headings. Use the headings option and it should do what you're looking for.

I hope that helps,
-jeff
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Chicago_HPT »

Also, I forgot to mention that you can add a Menu Skin to the project, if you want, and then assign that skin to your menu proxy. That gives you extra options to style it the way you like.

Cheers,
-jeff
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

The menu proxy headings setting will only work if you use actual heading tags in your topic such as h1, h2, h3, etc.

So unfortunately it won't work for TechWriter85 as they're using paragraphs - p.h1, p.h2, etc.

Mind, I'd recommend using heading tags rather than paragraphs, for this and other reasons.
TechWriter85
Propeller Head

Post by TechWriter85 »

Thanks for the great suggestions.

You know, when we imported our FrameMaker book into Flare, all our headings had a p. added to them, so H1 became p.H1. I don't know if we missed a step where we could have mapped our H1 to a Flare H1.

I'm thinking we need to fix that, because various Flare functions assume that headings will be H1, not p.H1 -- right? Like cross-references?

Thanks again.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

I migrated from FM over 10 years ago using Flare 2.5, so my memory is a bit hazy, but I'm sure you can map the headings styles in FM to heading tags (h1, etc.) in Flare.
Anyway, it's probably a bit late for you do that now.

To convert the p.h1 to h1, I'd suggest using the free Kaizen Plugin (by Mattias Sander). Use Cleanup > Replace Tags in Project.
TechWriter85
Propeller Head

Post by TechWriter85 »

Thank you, Dave Lee. A plug-in makes life a lot easier ...