How to add Index to HTML5 Project

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
TechWriter85
Propeller Head

How to add Index to HTML5 Project

Post by TechWriter85 »

Hello, all.

I am trying to add an Index to my HTML 5 project. I've opened the Flare Indexing Guide for Flare 2019. I have Flare 2019. On page 51, in "Enabling Indexes in Skins," it says to open the skin in question and go to the General tab.

There is no General tab for any of my skins.

Why it is missing and how I display it are mysteries to me. All solutions gratefully received.

--Nancy
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: How to add Index to HTML5 Project

Post by doc_guy »

What kind of HTML5 project are you working in? There are 3 - HTML5 Tri-pane, HTML5 Top Nav, and HTML5 SideNav.

TopNav and SideNav share a skin editor, so I'm guessing you're creating one of those two. Indexes aren't part of the default functionality of TopNav or SideNav output. (But you can cheat, and create an index page and insert the index proxy, and then put that page in your TOC, and I believe it will actually build for you).
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

TechWriter85
Propeller Head

Post by TechWriter85 »

Thank you, Paul. I am really new to both Flare and HTML5. I think that an index is the way you get users away from doing a full-text search and getting lots of useless hits. So I assumed that I should add an Index to my project. Why would some HTML5 designs not include an index tab? Thanks.
aneedell
Propeller Head

Post by aneedell »

Hello, Paul. I tried your suggestion but my side-navigation targets did not generate output from the index proxy (that is, I create an index topic, inserted the index proxy, added it to my TOC). The topic is in my output but includes only the heading (h1) that I added. The targets for side/top navigation have no provisions to generate the index content. I have the impression that MadCap has decided that indexes are simply not part of the top/side navigation paradigm. I can live with that, but it would be nice to know if there is a simple way to do it.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

According to the note at the bottom of this topic, you can enable the proxy for some web outputs by changing the proxy style:
https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... ndexes.htm

(it's for an older version of Flare, but I think it should still be valid.)

See if that helps in your situation.
aneedell
Propeller Head

Post by aneedell »

Thanks for the tip -- I will give that try. Hopefully, that will be the trigger that Flare needs to generate the index. Thanks!
aneedell
Propeller Head

Post by aneedell »

You are correct, Psider! I changed MadCap|indexProxy from 'all-print' to 'all' and it does use the index proxy to generate an index. Thanks for your help!