PDF Writer: Failed to convert to PDF font: Arial Unicode MS.

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

PDF Writer: Failed to convert to PDF font: Arial Unicode MS.

Post by chuck_agari »

I get this "warning" ("PDF Writer: Failed to convert to PDF font: Arial Unicode MS. Using default font: Helvetica.") every time I build a PDF. I see it explicitly when I build from a topic file, and I discovered it is indeed an error when I build a full target PDF. A search for this error found a "solution" that said to "install [the font] for all users." But (a) That font is not on my system anywhere, and (b) a search for "Arial Unicode MS" in the source code of the entire project gave zero results.

Nothing seems to look wrong in the output. So what's Flare trying to do and how do I fix it?
nielsf
Propeller Head

Re: PDF Writer: Failed to convert to PDF font: Arial Unicode

Post by nielsf »

Sorry, no solution for you - just saying that I have that exact problem, too...
-----
Flaring in Copenhagen, Denmark
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

You should both raise a bug and see if you get an answer from the Madcap techies. You are unlikely to get an answer to "what's Flare trying to do and how do I fix it?" on peer forums...
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

Do you have fonts explicitly specified for the body element? There may be a carry over from Flare defaults that causes the issue. Perhaps I'm just a control freak and like to make sure my body pages and all sub elements are defined fonts-wise.

Can you check in any output in the Temporary folder (Output/name/Temporary/path_to_build) and search for the missing font name or the substituted Helvetica font name? That might point to where the font is being used. This is where Flare puts the interim htm build files before compiling into a PDF.

Cheers,
Rob
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

I got the same error when moving to a new PC at work.

I fixed it by installing the font "Arial Unicode MS" - arialuni.ttf.

I think the font is installed in older versions of Windows or MS Office, as it was installed on my Windows 7 PC, but not my new Windows 10 PC.
Luckily I had made a zip backup of my old Windows font folder, so I was able to install it from there.

I've no idea why Flare requires it for PDFs. I specify "Arial" in my CSS, but not "Arial Unicode MS".
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by chuck_agari »

So with this a VM running a fresh install of Windows 10 I'm SOL?