Page Layout: Background does not fit page

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Page Layout: Background does not fit page

Post by oceanclub »

I've created a page layout with the following measurements:

Custom width: 720px
Custom height: 1280px
Orientation: Landscape
Margins: none

(In this instance, Flare uses the _height_ of the page as the width measurement, which is confusing.)

On the page layout I then added a background graphic of exact size 451 width x 720 height, with the following settings:

Repeat: No repeat
X: Right
Y: Top (also tried Centre)

Naturally I expect the graphic to appear as a bar taking up the entire right side of the page. But instead there is a large gap. Since the measurement of the graphic height matches the page height I have no idea why. Any help appreciated.

Paul
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Page Layout: Background does not fit page

Post by robdocsmith »

Hi Paul,

This looks like an image resolution thing. I copied your layout and added a background with dpi of 150 and got a shrunken image on the layout. On a hunch I changed the dpi of the image to 96 and resaved. Because my layout was open it didn't update, so I aligned the background left, then right as desired, and the image now fills the page top to bottom and is flush right.

Hope that helps,

Rob
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by oceanclub »

robdocsmith wrote:Hi Paul,

This looks like an image resolution thing. I copied your layout and added a background with dpi of 150 and got a shrunken image on the layout. On a hunch I changed the dpi of the image to 96 and resaved. Because my layout was open it didn't update, so I aligned the background left, then right as desired, and the image now fills the page top to bottom and is flush right.

Hope that helps,

Rob
Hi Rob,

I could understand DPI being an issue if I was using inch/cm as the measurements but here I'm using pixels, surely it shouldn't count? The height of the image is 720 pixels, irrespective of DPI. Maybe my understanding is wrong?

P.
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

True, but my understanding is that a printed document (PDF) is based on a specific measurement - a physical size to print - and therefore there must be a conversion somewhere from pixels to measurement and hence a dpi. I'm not sure what process Madcap uses to create the PDF as it isn't a distiller instance with a PDF profile and a specific resolution for the output.

My guess (and it's a guess) is that when you create a page layout using pixel measurements, it gets internally rendered as the equivalent at 96dpi. So an image placed on that page will be scaled to that same resolution.

Rob
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I think I've solved this in the past by setting the Flare option "Automatically resize low DPI images" (or perhaps I turned that option off).

It's located in File > Options > General.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!