Page Layout - MC Heading Level

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
rerandel
Jr. Propeller Head

Page Layout - MC Heading Level

Post by rerandel »

I have created a page layout that has a title page, left and right.
On the title page, I have a footer that is using the heading level 6 variable to label something specific.

In my topic, on the last page, I have the number 1, using the h6 style that I have defined.

When I run a build, the title page, left, and right pages display exactly as they should, except that no matter what I do, I can not get the #1 to appear on my title page with the madcap heading variable.

Basically I am identifying all the documents in this area as "Part 1" (2,3,4,5 etc.) by placing the correct # in each topic that is using this layout and making the # a h6 level. (there are 32 topics, each of which needs it's own number).

Any suggestions?
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Page Layout - MC Heading Level

Post by doloremipsum »

The heading variables look for the most recent heading that appears on the page - they aren't going to look 'forward' to future topics. If you want the heading to be picked up on your title page, you have to put it on your title page or before!
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
rerandel
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by rerandel »

Let me just verify that I have this correct.

This is in regards to a single topic file, call it common_settings.htm

I am using tech_config.flpgl as my specified page layout for common_settings.htm

In tech_config.flpgl I have three layout pages, title, left, right. On the title page, I created a footer, and in that footer I have the following -- "Part [Heading.Level6]:"

In my common_settings.htm, on the very first page, I have placed the following code <h6>1</h6>

What you are saying, is that unless I edit my tech_config.flpgl footer to contain the <h6>1</h6>, there is no way for me to get the 1 to display so I can have my title page say
"Part 1:"?

I had truly hoped that I could use the same page layout for all 32 of my tech specification topics, and merely use a <h6>#</h6> within the topic to properly label/number each title page.
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by doloremipsum »

Hmm, I misinterpreted you - I didn't realise that you had a single topic intended to span several pages rather than several topics.

Looking at what you have described in your second post, I don't see any reason why that would not work. Now you've moved the heading variable to the top of the topic the footer should see it and pick it up. I've done very similar things with product codes.

I assume you have tried that and it didn't work? If so, I suggest that you post parts of your code (esp. the css of your h6) so we can see whether there's anything messing with it on that end.
rerandel
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by rerandel »

CSS:
h6
{
font-family: Lato;
margin: 0;
margin-bottom: 0;
color: #000000;
font-size: 12pt;
line-height: 12pt;
mc-heading-level: 6;
}

First part of the topic:
<html xmlns:MadCap="http://www.madcapsoftware.com/Schemas/MadCap.xsd">
<head><title>Common Settings</title>
<link href="../Resources/Stylesheets/Styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>
<body>
<h6>1</h6>
<h1>Common Settings</h1>
<h2>Ports</h2>
<h3>TCP/UDP Ports</h3>

Code from the title page frame:
<html+>
<body+>
<p+><span+>STUDENT GUIDE</span></p>
<p+><span+>CompleteView 20/20</span></p>
<p+><span+>SALIENT SECURITY PLATFORM - TECHNICAL CONFIGURATION</span></p>
<p+>Part <MadCap:Variable/>: <MadCap:Variable/></p>
</body>
</html>

What displays in the title page frame (design mode):
STUDENT GUIDE
CompleteView 20/20
SALIENT SECURITY PLATFORM - TECHNICAL CONFIGURATION
Part [Heading.Level6]: [Heading.Level1]

Again, this is one topic, using one page layout. When I run a build, the last line of the title page, instead of saying Part 1: Common Settings only shows Part : and does not pickup the h6 and h1 from the topic.
rerandel
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by rerandel »

Thoughts or suggestions? Anyone?
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by doloremipsum »

Sorry, I suggested you post some code and immediately went away on summer holiday! Unfortunately I don't see anything wrong with your code.

One further suggestion: instead of writing your footer directly into the page layout frame, try writing it into a snippet and inserting that into the frame. I do that because it gives me more control over the formatting, and far as I can tell it's the only difference between what you've done (not working) and what I've done (working).

Actually, just to confirm: is the output PDF or Word? All of this stuff seems to be designed to work for PDF and sometimes doesn't function as expected in Word output.
rerandel
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by rerandel »

It's PDF. I tried the snippet, didn't seem to work.

I have also tried changing the frames that contain the code to header, footer, and decoration. :?

I'd be happy to send someone the htm. css, and flgpl if you'd like to take a look.
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

Hmmm. trying to puzzle out what you're trying to do.
You've got a bunch of topics that you want to collate into a PDF, each one starting with a Title page listing a reference number for that topic with some title page text, then followed by the body of the topic with the reference number in each footer.

What I would do if that is the case:
Create a page layout with a Title page and a Normal (or left/right) page.
The Title page layout just contains an empty body frame and nothing else (a footer frame if you want a footer on that page too)
The Normal page layout contains a body frame and a footer frame.
In each case if a layout includes a footer, the footer includes the "Part [Heading.Level6]: [Heading.Level1]" code

Then, for each topic, I add:
Title heading for the topic and any intro text you want on the Title page of the section. Include here the standard heading variables to get your heading6 on the page.
<h6>reference number</h6>
<h1>section heading</h1>
<p>the rest of the topic</p>

I'd set in CSS that H6 starts on a new page (page-break-before: always;). This will force the stuff before the h6 to stay on the Title layout and the rest to follow on a Normal layout.

In my TOC I include each topic, and give each one a page layout break, select my page layout and choose the Title layout.

Output to PDF and your H6 should appear on the Title for each topic and also in the footers. You could make each H6 tiny and in paper colour so it's relatively hidden from the PDF. It's still exists and can be selected.

Have I gone off on a tangent? Seems to work when I tried it here. Happy to send you the rough and ready Flare project.

Cheers,
Rob
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

After a bit of puzzling out, the issue seems to be that the "Title" page layout needs to include a Body frame to get its information from. Without that, the Title layout is disconnected from the rest of the pages that follow and any variables referencing headings on the Title page will be empty (there are no headings yet to find).

Solution is to include a small Body frame on the Title layout so the heading can be found and referenced correctly. Content in each chapter then needs to be styled and organised so your headings and numbers appear where you want them to appear. You can hide headings and numbers by making them White or paper coloured. They'd still be selectable in the PDF despite being hidden.

Cheers,

Rob
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by doloremipsum »

Oh, good spotting - thanks for sharing the solution!

By the way, the css property

Code: Select all

display: none
works great for hiding text in pdf, especially if it might end up on differently coloured backgrounds. The text won't be selectable and it will still appear in your header/footer regardless.
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

Awesome, thanks for the display: none hint! I wondered if it might cause the variable to not pick up the heading if it was invisible - might depend on when Flare picks up headings and when it renders for output. Sounds like the former is true and it will get the information before it hides it from view.

Cheers,
Rob