List of snippets associated with a TOC or taget?

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
Liz Gregory
Propeller Head

List of snippets associated with a TOC or taget?

Post by Liz Gregory »

Hi, hopefully one of you propellerheads can help me out here. I want to generate a list of snippets that are used for a specific toc - or for the target that uses that toc, for this situation it doesn't really matter which. I can't find anything like that in the analysis/reports area, and they don't appear in the link viewer either.

Anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance!
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: List of snippets associated with a TOC or taget?

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi Liz,

from my understanding of Flare, you can not associate snippets to a toc directly. You can associate conditions to snippets in order to control what comes into targets.
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: List of snippets associated with a TOC or taget?

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Liz Gregory wrote:Hi, hopefully one of you propellerheads can help me out here. I want to generate a list of snippets that are used for a specific toc - or for the target that uses that toc, for this situation it doesn't really matter which. I can't find anything like that in the analysis/reports area, and they don't appear in the link viewer either.

Anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance!
As SKamprowski says, snippets aren't linked directly to a TOC, which is why you can't see them in the Link Viewer, as the snippets will be linked to a topic that is in the TOC, not the TOC itself.

The only thing I could find that MIGHT be of some use is if you generate a report with the Files With Snippets check box selected. That won't identify ONLY the topics in a specific TOC though...

Thinking way outside the box, you could do some playing IN A COPY of your project which would then allow you to use that report. How easy would it be to do the following (IN A COPY OF YOUR PROJECT)?

1. Delete all TOCs except the one you're interested in.
2. Run an analysis, and look for Topics Not In Selected TOC.
3. Delete all those topics. (THAT could be the tricky bit.)
4. Check your TOC for broken links - in case you've deleted some topics by mistake.
5. Generate a report with the Files With Snippets check box selected.

It's A LOT of faff, but if you don't want to do that sort of thing very often it might work for you.

You might also want to raise a feature request for a new report to allow a user to specify a TOC when running the Files With Snippets report.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx