Return to Previous Page Scroll Point

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
OZScott
Propeller Head

Return to Previous Page Scroll Point

Post by OZScott »

Hi guys, I'm stumped on this one so thought I'd try here.

We have quite a number of work processes documented across linked topic files on long(ish) pages we call "Stage x" etc, within each topic there are links to granular system instructions that (ideally) a person completes and then clicks back in their browser to return to where they were on the Stage they came from.

In a newly created sample project, it seems like returning to where you were on the previous page is an inbuilt default behaviour... however I can't get my topics to act this way (they always start at the top of the page) and I've gone so far as to try multiple jscripts like this one https://www.jqueryscript.net/other/Reme ... inder.html but all to no avail (even when said script is apparently running fine).

Anyone encountered similar issues or have some troubleshooting suggestions? (There's a company wide desire to NOT being opening stuff in new tabs by default, so that's not an option either)
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Return to Previous Page Scroll Point

Post by NorthEast »

It's the browser that remembers the scroll position of in the page, so it's not behaviour that you can rely on happening every time.
You'll get different behaviour depending on the browser being used, and the logic it uses to determine whether to remember the last scroll position.
For example, if the page needed to be reloaded, the browser isn't going to restore the scroll position as it knows the page may have changed.

It might be tricky to reliably go back to a specific point in the page. You could have links that go to a bookmark in a page, but that'd only work if you're always going back to the same place.

I guess another way is not to make the reader jump between topics; e.g. put repeated content in a snippet, so you can use it in multiple topics.
jlavineway
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jlavineway »

What about in search results? It is annoying to click on a search result topic then click back and be positioned at the top of the search results page.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Just thinking about the OP - would it be more helpful for links in procedures to open a new browser page? I think there's a setting in Flare somewhere that does that. Not in Flare and haven't played with HTML5 much, but I'm pretty sure I read about it. Perhaps one of the gurus knows...?
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx