Repeat Content of Cell over Page Break

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
claypool
Propeller Head

Repeat Content of Cell over Page Break

Post by claypool »

Good Morning -

Is it possible to have the content of a left cell of a row repeat over pages when the content of the right cell spans over 2 pages? It seems like this should be a fairly easy setting, but I'm not sure how to make this work.

We have a table with the first column as Param, and the second column as a description. These descriptions can be quite lengthy, so it's not possible to keep it all on one page. I'd like to have the Param repeat on pages 2, 3, etc., of the description. Can this be done?
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Repeat Content of Cell over Page Break

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I haven't ever seen anything like that.

The only thing I could suggest is a manual fudge, whereby you split the one very long row into two rows, if you have borders on your table remove the border between the two rows, and repeat the item in the left column in the second cell. If you're using the table for both online and print outputs, condition the second instance of the left-hand term to be print only. This is a real kludge, and you'd need to check your output any time you edit your document, but that's about the only way to do it.

Hope that's of some use, unless someone else comes along with something a bit more robust.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
claypool
Propeller Head

Post by claypool »

Thanks so much for responding. I am so surprised there isn't an easier way to do this. Hopefully someone else has had this issue and found an easier work around.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

You don't mention which sort of print output, but there's no way of doing that in Word that I'm aware of, so if you're going to Word output I don't believe Flare can do it without implementing the kludge ChoccieMuffin mentions.