Source Control, Build and Publish

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
Demetrious
Jr. Propeller Head

Source Control, Build and Publish

Post by Demetrious »

When I am working in multiple topic files, sometimes I just want to source control, build and publish only those items that are ready. Right now I copy the original topic file into a hidden folder and work in in copied file until it is ready, Then I replace the original with the copy; build and publish. Is there a way to exclude changes that are not ready from the target output? Right now the entire project is published whether or not I Source Control. :?:
JRtechw
Propeller Head

Re: Source Control, Build and Publish

Post by JRtechw »

What source control are you using? If your SC has good branching and merging functions, this sounds like something you can do using branches.

For example, we use DevOps Git and work on our knowledge base like a dev team: we have a 'main' branch and at least one 'feature' branch with new release content not ready for viewing yet, and usually an 'experimental' branch for playing with things and trialing new styles etc.

So, instead of copying a file and editing that and copying back into your project, spin off a branch, select the branch to work in from the Source Control > Branch option in the Flare toolbar, and work in the branch. If you need to publish from original, switch back to that branch and your changes won't be there.

When it's ready to go live, use your Source Control's merge function (a Pull Request in DevOps) to merge the feature branch into your main branch. Back up your main branch before you merge anything as a precaution.
sboltz
Propeller Head

Post by sboltz »

@JRtechw Great info on the branching. I'm trying this out now and was wondering if you've had any problems with Flare still showing deleted branches? I created two branches and then used pull requests to merge back in. They down show up in DevOps but they are in Flare.

Any thoughts?
Suzette
JRtechw
Propeller Head

Post by JRtechw »

I seem to recall that some phantom branches may have still shown in the Flare Branch dropdown after deleting in DevOps. But eventually they disappeared, or it might have been that they naturally dropped off after moving to a new main trunk for the next release.

Either way it didn't seem to interrupt work too much, as long as you remembered not to accidentally select a deleted branch from Flare.