Azure DevOps Git repo credentials stored in Flare?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
Sr. Propeller Head

Azure DevOps Git repo credentials stored in Flare?

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Hi, all.

I did some searching in the forums for discussion around my particular question, but didn't come up with any hits. I'll admit my search wasn't exhaustive, so forgive me if this is a "repeat"! :)

Here's the deal: I have both my Flare project source files and output files stored in Git repositories in Azure DevOps. My project is bound to the Git repo that contains the source files, and I have a project destination of type "Source Control" that points to the Git repo containing the output files. My HTML5 target is set up to publish the output using the destination definition. Now, each of the Git repos is set up with credentials (to keep the bad guys out), and I used/saved those credentials while in Flare to set up both my project binding and my destination definition.

Everything works swimmingly as I publish project output from my local workstation using the setup described above, but now we'd like to add one more variable to the mix...

We're about to install an instance of Flare on a server so we can automate the publishing process there. We'll be using the command line to get latest from the source file Git repo, then publish to the output file Git repo. The question is whether or not all the Git repo credentials info is somehow stored in the Flare project file (.flprj) or somewhere else (possibly in the project's associated ".git" directory?), such that all we need to do with the Flare installation on the server is point to that project, get latest of the source files and publish—without the need to re-enter the Git repo credentials each time we initiate the process.

We're not to the point of having our server and Flare installation in place yet, so I can't simply test this out to get an answer to my question; I'm hoping I can learn from others' experience here, in advance of our attempted implementation.

Does anyone have some wisdom to impart on the topic? Could it be as easy as I hope it will be? Thanks for any help you can offer!
Austin Wright

Flare 2022 r3 (18.2.8431.26678) :: TopNav HTML5 / PDF output
djrussell
Propeller Head

Re: Azure DevOps Git repo credentials stored in Flare?

Post by djrussell »

Hello-

I ran across your post in the Flare forum. My company is about to switch from Microsoft's TFS product to Azure DevOps & Git. I was wondering if you might have some tips or any info actually about possible pitfalls to avoid when setting up Flare for Git & Azure DevOps? Or possibly some online resources that I can read to better understand what to expect?

I appreciate your help,
Donna
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
Sr. Propeller Head

Hi, djrussell.

You're in luck! After fooling around (and failing a number of times) with getting Flare set up with Git, I decided to document several processes that we had success with. I was going to attach the documents here, but apparently the forum doesn't allow the upload of PDF files. I'll reply to your PM and figure out the best way to get the docs to you. Meanwhile, here's an explanation of each:
  • Git Repo - Bind Local Flare Project.pdf
    • This is likely the process you'll be using, to take an existing Flare project on your local machine and push it up to a remote Git repository (where you and others can access and make updates to it).
    • In theory, you shouldn't need to use Git GUI and Git Bash (steps 4-7) to push the project into your Azure DevOps Git repo, but we encountered a number of errors on attempts to do so directly with Flare; the steps I've outlined worked every time.
    • If your project output will also be published to a Git repo (step 13), you can find details about creating a Flare destination file for Git in the "Git Repo - Publish Flare Project.pdf" document.
  • Git Repo - Import_Clone Existing Flare Project.pdf
    • This document outlines the steps for setting up a local version of a Flare project already stored in a remote Git repository. So, for example, if you're the one who gets the project all set up in the remote Git repo, but your other tech writers need to work on it with you, they would use this document to get hooked into the remote repo.
  • Git Repo - Publish Flare Project.pdf
    • This document offers instructions for publishing your Flare project output to a Git repo.
I hope the document instructions are clear enough as is, but please feel free to ask any questions you may have after reviewing them. I suppose none of us are as good at documentation as we may think we are! :D

If anyone else reading this post would like a copy of the docs, please PM me and we'll sort out delivery.
Austin Wright

bj25x
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by bj25x »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz, I would like to get a copy of the docs you created for getting Flare set up with Git. I am new to the forums and can't seem to send a PM directly to you.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
Sr. Propeller Head

bj25x wrote:TheGreatAndPowerfulOz, I would like to get a copy of the docs you created for getting Flare set up with Git. I am new to the forums and can't seem to send a PM directly to you.
Hi, bj25x. To send me a PM, just click the "PM" button at right of my post (looks like the following):
PMButton.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Austin Wright

Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:Hi, bj25x. To send me a PM, just click the "PM" button at right of my post (looks like the following):
Please be aware that new forum members are not permitted at first to send PMs. They have to first have a small number of posts approved by moderators, after which they'll be able to send PMs.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
Sr. Propeller Head

Nita Beck wrote:Please be aware that new forum members are not permitted at first to send PMs. They have to first have a small number of posts approved by moderators, after which they'll be able to send PMs.
Thanks, Nita! I wasn't aware of that policy. I've sent a PM to bj25x with my e-mail, so we can continue our conversation through that means.
Austin Wright

Bill_Leinweber
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Bill_Leinweber »

Hi everyone,

If anyone still has a copy of the information on importing a project stored in a Devops repo, I'd LOVE to have a copy of it.

Thank you!

Bill
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
Sr. Propeller Head

Bill_Leinweber wrote:If anyone still has a copy of the information on importing a project stored in a Devops repo, I'd LOVE to have a copy of it.
Just sent you a PM, Bill. I'll get you a copy of the docs via email.
Austin Wright

Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:Just sent you a PM, Bill. I'll get you a copy of the docs via email.
Our new friend Bill — given that he’s had only one post as of the moment and, therefore, is still in the “probationary period” for new forum members — will not yet be able to use the PM feature.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
Sr. Propeller Head

Nita Beck wrote:
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:Just sent you a PM, Bill. I'll get you a copy of the docs via email.
Our new friend Bill — given that he’s had only one post as of the moment and, therefore, is still in the “probationary period” for new forum members — will not yet be able to use the PM feature.
Can he still see a PM sent to him (even if he can't reply)? I included my email address in the message I sent, giving him the option to contact me directly by that means...

It would be a lot easier/nicer if I could just post the docs directly, here in the forum! :)
Austin Wright

ealfson
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by ealfson »

I'm also interested in learning more, but I don't seem to have the Message function yet either. Has anyone found a workaround?
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
Sr. Propeller Head

ealfson wrote:I'm also interested in learning more, but I don't seem to have the Message function yet either. Has anyone found a workaround?
@ealfson - I sent you a PM with my email address, so we can communicate that way. Hopefully, you'll see it!
Austin Wright

senglish10
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by senglish10 »

Please send the DeveOps Git info to susan.english@egov.com. Thanks for your help.
Last edited by senglish10 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
Sr. Propeller Head

senglish10 wrote:I am very interested in the DevOps info. How do I get a copy of the document you wrote?
@senglish10 - I sent you a PM with my email address, so we can communicate that way. Hopefully, you'll see it!
Austin Wright

sanacbs
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by sanacbs »

Hello,

I'd love a copy of these documents as well! It would be greatly appreciated! :)

I do not have the PM option available to me yet either!
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
Sr. Propeller Head

sanacbs wrote:Hello,

I'd love a copy of these documents as well! It would be greatly appreciated! :)

I do not have the PM option available to me yet either!
@sanacbs - I sent you a PM with my email address, so we can communicate that way. Hopefully, you'll see it!
Austin Wright

stre
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by stre »

@TheGreatAndPowerfulOz May I ask that you contact me and share this valuable info with me too?
Unfortunately, I cannot use the PM option yet either.
Many thanks!
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
Sr. Propeller Head

stre wrote:@TheGreatAndPowerfulOz May I ask that you contact me and share this valuable info with me too?
Unfortunately, I cannot use the PM option yet either.
Many thanks!
@stre - I sent you a PM with my email address, so we can communicate that way. Hopefully, you'll see it!
Austin Wright

tgosselink
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by tgosselink »

@TheGreatAndPowerfulOz please share your info with me.
I can not PM as I am a new user.
Thank you...
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
Sr. Propeller Head

tgosselink wrote:@TheGreatAndPowerfulOz please share your info with me.
I can not PM as I am a new user.
Thank you...
@tgosselink - I sent you a PM with my email address, so we can communicate that way. Hopefully, you'll see it!
Austin Wright

AlexS
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by AlexS »

@TheGreatAndPowerfulOz - Please! Me too! :)
Please PM me for email - I will greatly appreciate it! Thanks! :madcap:
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
Sr. Propeller Head

AlexS wrote:@TheGreatAndPowerfulOz - Please! Me too! :)
Please PM me for email - I will greatly appreciate it! Thanks! :madcap:
@AlexS - I sent you a PM with my email address, so we can communicate that way. Hopefully, you'll see it!
Austin Wright

JustDoingMyBest
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by JustDoingMyBest »

@TheGreatAndPowerfulOz I'm looking into this for my team and could desperately use some guidance from someone who's already laid some brick on this topic. I can't PM you but would you mind reaching out so we can arrange a sharing of files? I'd be SO SO appreciative.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
Sr. Propeller Head

JustDoingMyBest wrote:@TheGreatAndPowerfulOz I'm looking into this for my team and could desperately use some guidance from someone who's already laid some brick on this topic. I can't PM you but would you mind reaching out so we can arrange a sharing of files? I'd be SO SO appreciative.
@JustDoingMyBest - I sent you a PM with my email address, so we can communicate that way.
Austin Wright