EvaluatedDefinition in FLVAR file

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

EvaluatedDefinition in FLVAR file

Post by oceanclub »

Does anyone know what EvaluatedDefinition is in a FLVAR file? I can't find any mention of this in the forum.

The context is that a version number in our covers was generating incorrectly. When I edited the variables files using the standard Flare editor, the variable in question looked correct.

However, when I edited it using a text editor, I could see the correct variable but also an incorrect "EvaluatedDefinition":

Code: Select all

<Variable....
    [b]EvaluatedDefinition="0.43.1"[/b]>0.44.0</Variable>
Does anyone know what this is and how Flare adds it to a variables file?

P.
oelgoetz
Propeller Head

Re: EvaluatedDefinition in FLVAR file

Post by oelgoetz »

Hi oceanclub,

I had the same question. I presume it has something to do with the option to overwrite variable definitions in .flvar files by definitions in target files (.fltar) ... However - if this was true, one would expect multiple attributes showing all "EvaluatedDefinitions" for all targets.

BTW: I always have trouble with this overwrite-functionality - do you experience the same?
As far as I remember, when one changes the definition of a variable in a target file via the Flare UI, it will always open the variable file and change the definition there instead of changing it in the target.
However during build the target file definition overwrites the definition in the variable file which leads to undesired results. I remember that I created a bug report about it some years ago ...

As they never worked on it (at least as far as I know), at some point I switched to notepad++ when it comes to working with target-specific variable definitions - this is how I came over that "EvaluatedDefinition" attribute at all ...
So far I have not found any impact of "EvaluatedDefinition" on the build result at all - I think it's just a neglected issue and you can ignore it.

... any other opinions out there in the community ?