Error message when merging Trados translation

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
Sreichert
Jr. Propeller Head

Error message when merging Trados translation

Post by Sreichert »

Hi guys,

I hope someone can help me out with this.

My company uses Flare and Lingo, but we are working with an external agency, that uses SDL Studio, to translate our user manual.

Since both sides are inexperienced with how these softwares interact, I sent them a small test project first. They imported and translated this test project successfully, but when I tried to merge the bundle back into Lingo, I got the following error message.
Fehlermeldung.png
Does anyone know what happened here? Is this some mistake on my side? What can I do?

Thank you so much in advance for any answers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
L10N Coordinator
Propeller Head

Re: Error message when merging Trados translation

Post by L10N Coordinator »

To help you out I have a few questions. I am assuming that you exported the project as a XLIFF bundle.

Which version of Lingo are you using?

Which version of Trados is the vendor using?
Uwe Schwenk
L10N Coordinator
Sreichert
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Sreichert »

Hello!

Yes, I exported the project as an XLIFF bundle.

We are using Lingo 11. The vendor is using SDL Trados Studio 2019 SR2 – 15.2.6.2831 (SDL Trados Studio 2019 Professional)

It seems they cannot import a zip bundle into Trados to begin with, only individual files with segments that contain text. I rather suspect they are using a different workflow than is needed or maybe the versions are not quite compatible?
L10N Coordinator
Propeller Head

Post by L10N Coordinator »

You are correct. Its an issue with compatibility and workflow. The best way handling this is to unzip and maintaining the structure and then create a Studio project using the structure. However, keep in mind that XLIFF and SDL XLIFF are different and the vendor needs to make sure that the coding matches in the translated version before you import the package back into Lingo. Otherwise you will have an issue when attempting to compile. I did run into this a few times.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Uwe
Uwe Schwenk
L10N Coordinator