Flare: Folder change and import issues

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
shanweizhong
Jr. Propeller Head

Flare: Folder change and import issues

Post by shanweizhong »

Hi all,

I wonder if someone can help me with some Flare import issues. My situation is that we are using SVN for version control and for each release, we create a different folder and move all the projects (everything; both parents and children projects) to the new folder. Due to this move, I found the imported files might be broken, because although I used relative path for the "Source Project", when I checked the "Imported File" tab, absolute paths are used for the imported file, as shown in the following screenshot:
flare_import_1.png
When I tried to reimport (from the new location), new entries are added to the list of "imported files", but old entries are not removed, resulting in duplicate entries for each file.

When I used a text editor to open the .flimpfl file, I found each <url> contains both "Source" and "AbsolutSource" properties, and the "AbsoluteSource" points to the local path. As different writers use different folders on the local machine, when they commit their changes to SVN repository, I think the value of "AbsoluteSource" will be different, and there might be conflicts. (Currently we have only one writer but soon we will have a team of writers.)

Can you give me a hand on solving these issues? I'm also wondering if we change the folder for all the projects, what else I need to worry in addition to the imported files.

Thanks in advance,
Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shanweizhong
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Flare: Folder change and import issues

Post by shanweizhong »

No reply so far...

Are there any MadCap support people in the Forum? Maybe you can help?
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Not sure if this will help solve your problem, but when you save your import file, delete the "Absolute Source" line and all the subsequent sections about which files have been generated, skipped etc, and add your import files to the "ignore on commit" list, if you're doing your source control outside of Flare. I don't know if that's possible using source control from within Flare as I don't use it that way. When you do an SVN update, use the "clean" import file. There are a couple of disadvantages to this approach, but we find we don't miss them

Hope that helps.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

shanweizhong wrote:No reply so far...

Are there any MadCap support people in the Forum? Maybe you can help?
This is a peer to peer forum.

Occasionally support people drop n, but if you need to talk to someone from support you should contact them directly.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.